Saturday, August 27, 2005

Three Months Old!

Pearl is three months old now, a whole quarter of a year. Her third month has been a busy one. It has been so amazing, seeing her grow and further explore her world. My favorite example of this is the toys on her bouncy chair - when I first introduced her to them, she was very new and didn't even look at them. A few weeks later when I put the toybar on again she saw the mirror and for a while talking to the baby in the mirror was her favorite thing to do! Then she learned to bat at the toys and make them whirl and rattle, and this month she has learned to grasp the toys and the toybar itself.



She is becoming more active, more flexible, more in control of her limbs. One amusing feat she can do is rotate herself in a circle while laying on the floor by way of arching her back and twisting to one side, keeping her head in the exact same spot all the while. Pearl also uses that arch-and-twist move to try and escape situations she finds unpleasant, like having a diaper put on. She's getting much closer to getting her toes in her mouth, by raising her butt with her legs bent froggy style. She'll grab onto those cute little toes and before we know it they'll be in her mouth. I can't wait, I think that'll just be the most adorable thing ever.



And I am proud to announce that as of yesterday, she can roll from her back to her front! It is quite startling to look over at your baby and find that she is not in the same position you left her in. It's going to take some getting used to, for sure.

She has begun to enjoy being read to - or at least looking at the pictures in the books! I bought eight or so baby books when I was pregnant, including several Dr. Suess classics and that is what we've been reading. My husband also reads aloud from whatever he is reading when we're in bed at night, which is currently a book on the history of civilization. I think she must already know more about Egyptians than I do.

Pearl really loves interacting with her daddy. Even when she is very grumpy and is doing her best to ignore me despite my most entertaining efforts, her daddy can walk into the room and say something to her and she will just grin at him right away!



We've been practicing Elimination Communication for a month now and it has gone splendidly. We probably average about five wet diapers a day lately, and along with going tinkle in her little potty, she has gone held about the big potty at Grandmama's house, and above a diaper in the car! I am not yet brave enough to attempt it in public restrooms, and am far too tired to attempt it at night. Once we have it completely down during the daytime I intend to start doing it at night but for now I'm content to just put her in a Fuzzibunz and leave the potty business until morning, as she sleeps so well next to me anyways, waking several times to nurse but always drifting back to sleep. I love having a family bed. It is just so nice to have my husband and my daughter right there to cuddle and snooze with.

We took our first longish car trip by ourselves this month; a forty minute drive to Grandmama's. When I say "by ourselves" I really mean without Daddy driving, without Mama in the back seat to offer comfort if need be. My sister and her her daughter, who is Pearl's elder by three days, accompanied us. Amazingly, both babies slept the entire trip there and back, and a good visit was had by all.

The day after that a few friends of mine from high school came to see us. That was interesting. I don't have much in common with them other than the fact that we went to school together, so I feel odd talking to them sometimes. We only interact about once a month but they are still my friends and it is nice to have some girly chatter. They found Pearl to be pretty cute and Pearl even laughed at Ashley! That was her first laugh. Since then she's done it a bit more, not even a real laugh yet, just the beginnings of one.

They brought lasagne that Jamie had made and I didn't turn it down though it contained dairy and that led to a week of reflux. It is better now, still not completely gone, but it does appear to have been caused by the dairy and wasn't just showing up at that point in time, which is good. I was worried that it was going to be something more permanent. All in all it was a harrowing experience and I absolutely will not be eating dairy again until she is weaned. I am so glad my sweet baby is feeling better.

3 Comments:

Blogger Daph said...

She is just so precious! I love how peaceful she looks sleeping in the last picture.

7:25 AM  
Blogger pretendingsanity said...

happy 3 month birthday pearl girl!

9:15 AM  
Blogger ginger said...

My gosh, she is growing so fast! Such a pretty, pretty, sweet girl!

6:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home