Monday, September 05, 2005

Eeek!

Yesterday I was putting dishes away when I spotted a spider about the size of a quarter crouched menacingly beneath the dishdrainer. Spiders are nothing new around here. Our in-laws, former inhabitants and caretakers of this house, advised us to toss a couple of bug bombs into the crawlspace in the springtime to cut down on the creepy crawly population that comes with an old house situated in the country, but we decided that permeating our house with pesticides wasn't a good idea with a fresh new baby on the way. So we live with spiders, kill them if they are very large and/or annoying, but for the most part we coexist in peace.

I saw the monster fangs on this spider, then, peering closer, the fiddle shape on its back. I called to my husband, who was parading around the house with Pearl while I took care of the dishes, "There's a venomous spider in here, come kill it!" He replied that it had been there for a long time. I guess he didn't hear the venomous part and thought I was referring to the big spindly-legged spider whom I have allowed to live above the dishdrainer for a few weeks with the express understanding that it is to dispatch any of the super annoying fruit flies that come its way. Personally I don't think it's holding up its end of the bargain.

My husband handed me the baby and got the flyswatter while I told him not to let it get away! Then he smushed it.

Now I am imagining that my kitchen is full of brown recluses. The good thing about brown recluses is that their bites don't generally kill people and they have to be pressed against human skin to be able to bite them at all. Still, you can bet I'm going to be digging around in my cupboards a lot more gingerly from now on. Those fangs were huge.

5 Comments:

Blogger ginger said...

ew ew ew ew ew ew!! I hate finding spiders! Kill them all!!!

2:34 PM  
Blogger christina said...

AHhh. I clicked on your spider link and got totally creeped out. brown recluses are soooo not to be messed with! I'm always so non plussed about bugs... I like bees, for crying out loud, but spiders really give me the heebie geebies. Glad miss Pearl was no where near!

8:41 AM  
Blogger sarahgrace said...

Eeew, yuck spiders! I was afraid to click on your spider link for fear of having the creepy crawlies all night long. My house is a lot like yours with all the bugs, and I know exactly how you feel with the chemical junk, having two little ones of my own. Thank goodness it was no where near your adorable daughter.

6:36 PM  
Blogger Mama C-ta said...

I got chills so bad looking at that pic I almost threw up! Yeah, I won't be living in the country anytime soon, I unfortunately can't co-exist so peacefully w/bugs especially spiders!!

4:51 PM  
Blogger JulieB said...

Odd though, brown recluses are usually that - reclusive. Must have ridden in on something, because they prefer things like wood piles.
We have black widows here. They bite if you bump them. Its nasty - the bite site ulcerates and creates an open wound. Happily they prefer the outside, so while they are occasionally under the back steps they don't tend to come in!
Hang in there, I hate spiders and pretty much smack them all.

2:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home