Wednesday, August 31, 2005

Teething? Growth Spurt? Mental Takeover by Aliens?

It's been a crazy couple of days around here! I think Pearl is teething but I am not sure, having never had a baby before let alone a teething one. I know it is early (though not impossibly so) but she is displaying many of the classic symptoms... tons of drool, marathon chomping-on-mama's-hand sessions, irritability, sleep weirdness. When I peer into her mouth I can see two little ghost-teeth beneath the surface, but having never had cause to peer into her mouth before I don't know if those were there all along or not. At any rate from what I've been reading it can take weeks for them to appear so unless they pop out tomorrow I may not ever be sure if this is teething or not.

Anyways, on top of that I think Miss Pearl is going through another growth spurt! Yesterday she slept from about 4:45pm until bedtime and about 9:30pm, broken by several brief wakings to eat and go potty, and then slept through the night! That evening sleeping was very unusual. And today has been a very sleepy and eaty day too, interspersed with moments of playfulness followed shortly by tired crankiness.

During the happy awake times she has just been a rolling fool! She's getting really good at it and hardly ever stays on her back anymore - she goes straight to her side when I lay her down. Have you ever diapered a sideways baby? It's hard. She's been going barebottomed more and more as of late. Sometimes she likes to hang out on her side for a while and chomp on her hands, but more often today she's been rolling right on over to her front. And once, after a pause to listen to mama's congratulations on her rolling success, she rolled back over to her back! I was so proud of my sweet little rollypolly baby.

Here is a photo of her taken this morning right before a descent into crankiness began:

3 Comments:

Blogger Elaine said...

Anya's been doing the same. I've been calling it growth spurt, although I rather enjoy the alien’s theory.

Lily got her first tooth at 8 months, if that means anything to anyone.

9:27 PM  
Blogger christina said...

I love how you manage to get photos of Pearl grinning all the time. They are so sweet. And I hear you on the whole teething thing. I have no idea when a tooth will actually show up in Bean's mouth... And I'm starting to feel silly saying he's teething when I don't have any reason to believe it's so except major gnawing and chomping and drool and irritability. But those things seem to be par for the course with a baby... keep us updated :)

7:31 AM  
Blogger JulieB said...

Yup. It seems like they teeth forever. All I remember is that about the time they started to sleep thru the night, they started teething. Sigh.

2:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home