Monday, March 20, 2006

What a Scary Baby!

I play this game with Pearl where when she makes a screeching, roaring noise, I say, "Oh, what a scary baby! Oh my! You must be a little baby monster!" and proceed to scream and act scared and be silly in general. It's pretty fun.

Last week Pearl and I went to visit my sister and her baby, K. While we were there Pearl happened to do her Scary Baby routine (Pearl LOVES my sister and goes into super-playful-funny mode whenever she sees her!) and K actually found it frightening - she stared at Pearl, then her little bottom lip popped out, and then came the wails. It was funny but we tried not to laugh where K could see us, poor little thing.

A few minutes later, when the two babies where standing by each other holding on to this Little Tykes castle climbing toy thing, it happened again - Pearl roared and K stuck her little lip out, leaned her forehead against the castle and just started sobbing!

She is a very sensitive little baby and I am always amazed at how different she is from Pearl. Pearl can take a tumble and she'll just roll over and go on her merry little way; whereas falls seem to not only hurt K physically but wound her feelings as well. She is much snugglier than Pearl too, and I once witnessed, to my astonishment, K simply falling asleep just laying on my sister's chest. In a movie theater. While a loud movie was playing. With no bouncing, nursing, rocking, driving, or ssshhhhhing involved. It was wild.

2 Comments:

Blogger Teri said...

Awwwww!!! That's so cute. And so cool that little Pearl has a playmate. They can learn from each other. :)

Hey - just wanted to mention that I really like that book you're reading: You Are Your Child's First Teacher. I especially love the chapter about a newborn's experience of the world in the first few days.

I really admire your commitment to natural parenting. (Is there any other kind? Heh! But you know what I mean.) I had all intentions of giving her only cloth and wooden toys, feeding her only slow food, no TV, etc...but here she sits playing with a Fisher-Price plastic "candy machine" that spits out flashy plastic balls with all kinds of lights and music when you push a little lever. (It was a hand-me-down.)

Well, you know what they say: everything in moderation. (Except love and hugs and kisses!)

1:55 PM  
Blogger sarahgrace said...

That is so cute! I have to admit that it's hard not to laugh when my little guy gets scared at something silly and pooches out his little lip too. You'll have to let us hear that growl- too cute!

3:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home