Monday, March 06, 2006

Pain, Agony, Sickness; Misery in General

So I'm having my wisdom teeth out on Thursday. I'm actually looking forward to finally getting it done because then I won't have to deal with them trying to grow into a space where there isn't enough room for them as I have been for over a year, a very painful and irritating thing.

Last night however the pain became unbearable. My whole jaw hurts. I think it must be an infection of some sort, from my wisdom teeth moving in and out or from another tooth, I don't know, I just know that it hurts so bad and I'm over the limit for ibuprofin I can take in a 24 hour period. Now, I have a very high tolerance for pain. I am someone who does not take medicine until it is to the point where I have to. In fact, to give you an idea of how much this hurts, here are a few things on Fuzzy Peach's Scale of Pain, which goes from 1 to 10:

-Plucking eyebrows: 1
-Toothpick in the knee: 2.5
-Shot of morphine in the hip: 3 (Until the morphine kicked in)
-Baby always trying to wedge her head beneath the rib cage in utero: 4.5
-1.75 hours of being tattooed on the lower back: 5
-Navel piercing: 6
-Natural childbirth, no drugs at all: 8
-Having a nurse massage uterus after childbirth to shrink it back down and get all the clots out, supposedly: 9
-Tooth pain like this: 9

9 is enough to make me cry. I reserved 10 for worse pain; I'm sure it's out there. I have an appointment to see the dentist this afternoon and I just took the one codeine I had left from my last big dental issue (okay for breastfeeding, don't worry). Hopefully it hasn't expired or anything, and hopefully it will hold me over until the dentist gives me more this afternoon. Which he had better darn well do.

In other dental news, Pearl has her third tooth, her top front left one! She was acting all crazy last night - flailing at her mouth and screeching, not crying, so we thought it was funny - even took some video of it which perhaps I'll get around to sharing sometime. She's also had some night wakings recently, so I thought one might be on the way, and when I held her upside down this morning I saw it peeking out, then felt it to be sure, and sure enough, it's another tooth! At this rate her next tooth will appear April 7.

Yesterday I ate some dairy, sort of. It was in scones that listed "heavy cream" as the second ingredient. I had 5.5 of them. I wanted cinnamon rolls but there were none so I got those instead, as I've been hesitantly wanting to test Pearl's reaction to my dairy consumption. So far there has been no sign of reflux, which is good; however, yesterday she was snotty, and she is still today. This is after several days of non-snottiness as she got over the last cold. Now, it is possible that she has caught another bug; we've been out and about all over the place lately. It's even possible that the snot is due to her new tooth. But I'm worried that this is a new reaction to dairy, because when I was a child I reacted poorly to eating dairy - in the form of serious congestion, lots of mucus, and also a high incidence of urinary tract infections. My younger brother also shared the dairy-induced congestion.

Something I find interesting is the fact that all through my pregnancy, I ate a lot of dairy, and I had several urinary tract infections, one of which is a prime suspect for what caused my preterm contractions, though I never noticed any symptoms from any of them. Then after this last Christmas, when I ate a lot of goodies made with dairy in them and gave Pearl reflux, a week or so after that I developed a painful UTI.

It's hard to tell whether it's all connected, or whether it's coincidental. Trying it out again is the only way to tell I guess.

On top of Pearl's new tooth and her snottiness, the poor baby has been falling down quite a bit today and suffering more bonks than usual. We're pretty pitiful around here.

3 Comments:

Blogger Susan D. said...

I desperately need my wisdom tooth out - it's riddled with cavities, occasionally hurts like a bastard, and oh yeah - it points outward and scrapes the inside of my cheek raw - but I just can't get motivated to take on the expense and pain and time of getting it out. I wish it would just FALL out and have done with it.

3:52 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh yuckfest! I may be a minority when I say this but I loooved getting my wisdom teeth pulled. It was painless and fun. Of course I didn't have a baby to take care of then though.

I hope the dairy goes well. Julian rubs his nose and face a lot and gets congested (plus I feel he's had more colds than he should) and I tend to think it's food allergy related for him. I just hope it's nothing life-long for either of them!

11:20 AM  
Blogger sarahgrace said...

Aaaaw. Hope y'all get to feelin' better SOON! Tooth pain is no fun.

9:30 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home