Friday, February 10, 2006

Bumps and Bruises

So Pearl is crawling, pulling up, cruising oh so slowly, and trying to stand up on her own. With all that comes falling, bumping into things, knocking things over; scrapes, scratches, bumps and bruises. She's a pretty tough cookie and only cries if it's a pretty painful tumble that she's taken. Pulling up on the coffee table and then slipping and bonking her head on the edge two days in a row lead to twin bruises on her forehead and some tears. Our carpeted living room sits about four inches higher than the ceramic tiles of the dining room and she has crawled to edge and stopped, putting her hands down feeling the tiles below her, but then she gets stuck and cannot figure out how to get the rest of her body down. Yesterday she was sitting near the edge and before I could get to her she fell over backwards onto the tile - her head made a thump and my heart stopped, but she was fine, whimpered a little but didn't cry.

and Bumps


I think this all has been more painful for me than for her! I feel so many different things about her newfound mobility and the ability to get into mischief and potentially injurous situations. Sorrow that she's growing so fast, that she's left the sweet helpless stage behind; happiness and excitement over seeing her further exploring the world around her and learning how to navigate it; an overwhelming desire to protect her from all the corners and edges and hard objects. I know I can't protect her from everything, I know I cannot prevent every bruise and scrape but I can't help it, I want to so badly!

5 Comments:

Blogger sarahgrace said...

Oh man...I know how you feel when they fall and bump their little heads and you just can't get there fast enough.
Hang in there though...she's tough and pretty soon she'll be really steady and there will be less and less falls.
: )

1:04 PM  
Blogger Elaine said...

I'm right there with you, mama! Our living room is two steps down fron the kitchen/dining room. Lucky for Anya, the lower part is carpet (not tile), so the bonks aren't quite so awful.

The first time you see blood will freak you out, b ut yes, it does get easier.

Mostly.

8:09 PM  
Blogger christina said...

Oh I know just what you mean! God, it's so aweful to watch them encounter gravity isn't it? And yet I know: how I respond will affect how he responds!

Are you all settled in your new house? How is it to have more space? (It must be LOVELY!!*drool*)

7:56 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I know just how you feel. Bryan and I realized we need to just let Julian fall b/c every time we've tried to catch him we make it worse by bonking him in the head or kicking him. He's better off w/out us...sad for us :(

Pearl is so pretty, she really is, bruises and all.

8:07 PM  
Blogger amanda said...

We're headed for bruises and bumps as my little one learns to crawl. For now, she's revving up on all fours and then doing a face plant. Rug burns and tears abound!

What a sweet little girl, that Pearl. She's just beautiful.

5:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home