Friday, February 03, 2006

Eight Months Old

This eighth month has been a month of many firsts for Pearl: her first tooth, her first move, her first time crawling, first time sitting up by herself, first time pulling up to a standing position, first time in the big bath, first time at home with Daddy while Mama went out, first cat scratch. She has been a busy, busy girl!

Packing!

Crawling!

Giggling

In the Big Bath

Squirming

Lainie and Leftie


Having a baby who crawls has been easier for me to adjust to than having a baby who can pull up, though she started doing both - along with sitting up - during the weekend that we moved. It is just so strange to look across the room and see her standing there, holding onto the couch. She looks so big and grown up. She's even letting go and trying to stand on her own...

Not that the change from stationary to mobile has gone off without a hitch - this place is still not as baby-proofed as I'd like it to be; we're still not quite completely settled in - and I keep leaving things in her reach, forgetting that her reach has extended to encompass anything in the room below the height of two feet, like the potty full of tinkle that she overturned this morning when I left the room to get a diaper.

Her interest in solids foods has exploded and I can't eat anything without her crawling right over to me and making chomping faces while swiping at my plate. She's tasted some new things - lemons, which she loved, pickles, which she didn't - but she's still not eating a whole lot of them, mostly because of laziness and uncertainty on my part. She has not mastered the pincer grasp required for picking up tiny bits of food so I'm assuming she doesn't really need the solids yet, but she does enjoy playing with and tasting food.

She is sleeping pretty well these days. She takes two naps, one about two hours after she wakes, and one midafternoon, and they last She is a bit harder to get to sleep these days but I'm changing up our method... used to be I would always bounce her in the mei tai, lately I've been bouncing her sans mei tai, and next step is to transition from bouncing to rocking, because I am tired of bouncing. My calves are in great shape but rocking is just much cozier. And easier on my back.

Pearl has been so, so social this month! We have been doing a lot of shopping and she just loves to meet new people. She smiles and laughs at them and they cannot resist!

I cannot resist her either. She is so funny and sweet. These days have been more filled with light than any winter I've been through before.

6 Comments:

Blogger sarah doow said...

such sweet photos!

7:44 AM  
Blogger Elaine said...

Awww! She is getting so big! And she really is beautiful and so happy and just an amazing gift. I'm glad you're all enjoying her so much!

Sounds like the move went well. Are you liking the new place?

7:45 AM  
Blogger pretendingsanity said...

man! she is so stinking cute!!!

8:22 AM  
Blogger sarahgrace said...

She is sooooo adorable! Congrats on many new firsts! And I liked your comment about having a winter filled with more light than any winter before...what a beautiful compliment to your daughter.

10:37 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Those are some great pics. My faves are #3 and #4, the bath one. What a little model. And she looks like she was quite the mover! My goodness she has been busy this month!! I feel ya on the solids and the uncertainty/laziness factor. I really want to put J in the big bathtub but it's so slick I'm too scared. I think if I buy one of those mats it would be better. You've inspired me :)

Glad to see you are mostly settled and back in action!! I missed seeing Pearl's happy face!

6:48 PM  
Blogger Susan D. said...

Surfed in from Blueberry Pie - your daughter is beautiful! but of course you knew that already. Mine is 16 months now and I really miss the stage your Pearl is at now. Thanks for all the pictures - and for all the lovely memories they brought back for me. Enjoy her now because she'll be a toddler before you know it. And that will also be wonderful.

3:57 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home