Tuesday, February 14, 2006

Self Portrait Tuesday - All of Me

This is my calf:

calf

It is in better shape than it has ever been thanks to months and months - nearly a year - of bouncing on the birth ball, but note the stretch marks. They made their appearance while I was on bedrest during my pregnancy with Pearl. Stretch marks and pregnancy pretty much go hand in hand, and I expected to get them on my belly, my hips, perhaps even my breasts... but my calf?! It just wasn't fair. My breasts and belly and hips stay pretty much covered up, but having my calf stretch marked - and not both calves, oh no, couldn't be symmetrical about it or anything, just my right calf - was a real bummer. No more shorts or skirts, I would moan.

I don't care so much about the stretch marks now, though I still don't love them. I read about women who embrace them as battle scars, celebrate them as badges of motherhood, but I'm just not there yet. I'm still mourning the loss of my smooth, youthful skin, still despondent about the growing effects of age and life on my body. We'll see how I feel about shorts once it gets warm again. Until then, the stretch marks will be there waiting, under my pants.


More self-portraits can be found here.

5 Comments:

Blogger Elaine said...

Hey, you could make a totally cool tat out of it!

That is odd that they only showed up on one leg. But hey, we're moms, odd comes with the territory.

10:06 AM  
Blogger fuzzypeach said...

You know, while writing this post it occured to me for the first time that I could get a tattoo to camoflauge them... I will have to give the idea more thought!

12:18 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I didn't find your blog til the end of your pregnancy, I didn't recall you being on bedrest. Time to go through the archives!

9:14 AM  
Blogger neiabertoncin@gmail.com said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

12:39 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I got exactly the same ones as yours on my left leg, not my right! Crazy... I'm not even pregnant, just gaining weight because of medication. I agree with the tat idea, that what I'm gonna do :) but give them time to heal first :)

3:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home