Friday, February 24, 2006

Finally, The Baby Begins to Earn Her Keep

So now that we are a family surviving on one not-so-big salary and have a baby, we're getting a substantial amount of money back on our taxes! Hooray! I'm trying to decide what we should do with it. Mr. Peach said that he wanted a couple hundred bucks to buy some RAM, and I could do as I pleased with the rest. My first thought was: BRACES, since, as I have mentioned before, the state of my mouth is horrrrible. But that would mean.... having braces. Which apparently can be a long, drawn out, uncomfortable process. But, in the end I would have straight teeth! Easier to keep clean and free of cavities, and I could smile and laugh and talk free of worrying about people seeing my horrible teeth!

My second thought was: TROPICAL VACATION! Winter has got me down and I am dying to run away to the beach and just float on the waves and soak up some strong equatorial sun. Eat foreign food, take in another culture. I would love to take Pearl to the beach... but I think I'd rather wait until she's a bit older. Maybe next winter. The thought of getting her to nap in a strange place makes me tremble. Not to mention the plane ride.

My third thought was: SHOPPING SPREE! FANCY CAMERA! WHATEVER CLOTHES YOU WANT! ANY TOY PEARL COULD WISH FOR! Not that she really wishes for toys at this point, so I guess that's really any toy I could wish for her to have.

My fourth thought was: SAVINGS ACCOUNT! Booooooring. But practical.

I don't know what we'll end up doing with it. Assuming it is as big as we have been lead to believe it will be, I think I will at least go to a consultation with an orthodontist and then go from there in my decision-making.

***

A few days back, some friends of ours took us and a couple of other people out to a Mexican restaurant for lunch, as Mr. Peach had just helped them move. There was a man at the bar near our table, and when he left he stopped by and told me that we had a beautiful baby girl. I smiled and thanked him, and didn't really think anything of it as that sort of thing happens all the time.

When we asked for our ticket, the waiter told us that it had been taken care of, and gestured to the bar. We didn't understand what he was saying at first, and then he handed us a napkin, on which the man had written, "Be good, little girl!" along with his first name and the date. We were surprised and amused, and wondered why a stranger had done that. Another of the waitstaff told us the man had recently been through a divorce, and his ex-wife had gotten custody of his two children, and he was very upset and emotional about it (naturally). I asked him to relay our thanks if he saw the man again, and he said he would, as the man apparently comes in quite regularly.

So that was kind of weird, and sad, and nice. Getting a free dinner is definitely one of those things about having a baby that I didn't expect!

5 Comments:

Blogger sarahgrace said...

Tax returns and kiddos are a good combo! Have fun deciding what to do with all that money ; )

3:31 PM  
Blogger sarah doow said...

The £400 I spent on getting my teeth put back where they should be was well worth it, so that's my vote! Nice job on the free meal too, or should I say, nice job, Pearl!

3:57 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey cool stuff! That was the sweetest/sadest thing about the man buying your meal. Makes me want to find him and give him a hug. And get a free meal from him too :)

I was actually disappointed in our tax refund, it was miniscual compared to other pre-baby years. But it's b/c I was still working half of the year and we both had gotten large pay increases for 2005 so combined we made a lot and b/c I only worked half a year we didn't pay many taxes compared to what we made, blah blah, I'll spare you the details. I was just thinking it would have been so much more w/a baby. But I think next year will be better. A tropical vacation sounds so nice, I've had the winter blues pretty bad lately myself. I thought about going tanning just for some happy UV rays.

Braces would be a good idea since it sounds like it would make you feel better and it's still a pretty practical choice! Win, win!

6:19 PM  
Blogger pretendingsanity said...

having suffered through braces, I still say they're worth it. But OH are they not fun. I'm sure you'll make the best decision possible!

And I think that was amazingly sweet of that man to buy your meal!

10:11 AM  
Blogger Daph said...

Wow, decisions, decisions! Whatever you decide to do with your money I hope you have fun with it! That bit about the man buying your meal actually made me tear up. It's so sweet, but at the same time it makes me really sad for him.

6:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home