Wednesday, February 28, 2007

Twenty-One Months Old

Each month when I write these little reviews I try to think of what has defined the month; a thing or two that really sets one month apart from the one before it. I didn't have to try very hard this month: this has been the Month of No.

Pearl has been saying no for a while now, but this month rather than the sweet, matter-of-fact little "no" she would utter before, this month she has been yelling the word, sometimes flailing arms and stomping feet and shaking her head to really emphasize that she means NO! and often repeating it, a string of no's one after the other after the other.

It is sometimes amusing, sometimes frustrating, especially when she is refusing something necessary (getting dressed, putting a diaper on, etc, etc).

How I Love My Little Girl!


Her language acquisition continues on in other ways as well. She is using names more... rather than just using them as identifiers, she will say, "Mama, sing a song!" or, "Nest Eye fell down!" or, "Mama! Nee hep!" (need help!) One phrase I hear a lot is "Stuck! Nee some hep!" She has started missing her father and I when we leave, and will say, "Go find Daddy!" She talks about things she remembers, too - kicking the snow, seeing a cat jump over the fence. It is neat to see her putting little sentences together, picking and choosing words to get her point across. She still jabbers a lot of stuff that I cannot understand at all though!

On Her Computer


She makes up her own little songs and sings about the cats, about her little alligator toy. "The Wheels on the Bus" and "Bye-Lo Baby" are her new favorite songs this month. "The Wheels on the Bus" really cracks her up and it amuses me to no end to hear her say, "Move on back!" and watch her do her approximations of the hand motions. Once while we were singing it she sneezed and so I added the verse of "Pearl on the bus goes ah choo, ah choo, ah choo!" and she has since added it to her rendition and I will hear her singing it every now and then as she goes about her little toddler business. Sometimes when I am sitting at the computer listening to my music, she will come up and insist we listen to Dan Zanes! Or Caboose Song!

Pearl seems so bright; I love teaching her and seeing her learn. She knows some shapes - moon (crescent), star, circle, square... and most of the colors... blue and red still throw her a bit. She is mastering feeding herself with a spoon and is trying to put on her own shoes and socks. (She is quite adept at taking them off and the other day she took her shirt off by herself for the very first time!)

Here Ali, Have a Rock!


Sleep has been pretty rough lately. For the first half of this month it was hard to get her down for the night but she slept okay after that (once I got in bed to stay, anyway), and the next half she went to bed early and easily but also woke up at an ungodly hour. I blame teething. She got two new teeth this month, or so I thought. One has since disappeared so it either receded, or I am crazy and imagined a new tooth to give some meaning to the night-time chaos.

On a Bench, Among the Trees


Pearl ended this challenging twenty-first month with a bang: while we were outside this morning, she ate some little green pellets that were in some soil leftover from repotting a houseplant. I managed to fish one out of her mouth and then got to call the Poison Control Hotline for the very first time. (May it be the last!) I was told that it was probably fertilizer and wasn't enough to be toxic, and just to watch her for a while for an upset stomach and mouth irritation, not to let her sleep on her back, etc. I figured she would be all right but I wasn't sure what those pellets were and safe is definitely better than sorry.

I know I said that Pearl's obsession with saying no is what stands out about this month, but that isn't what pops up in my mind when I think about who she is right now. The image of her in my mind right now is of the little girl who sees the moon and stars in the light reflected from the lamp onto the ceiling, who tells me that donkeys say "honkey", who waves back to vines and leaves blowing in the breeze; the girl who is the most beautiful thing in the whole wide world.

Labels: , ,

9 Comments:

Blogger karoline said...

Hey there, I was browsing by and had a couple questions for you.
Do you know how to customize me page and such? Also, how to upload videos? I really love your page, your photography is amazing. One more question, how do you make this comment page pop out? I would really love your help. Thanks, my email is karolinebrooke@hotmaill.com

6:56 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh she is adorable! Look at those eyes! And donkeys say honkey...LOL!

9:48 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ah, the "no" phase, lol. I love that she makes up her own songs, that is so cute! The pictures are amazing -- my favorite one has to be the last one (her eyes are so pretty!) but I definitely love the one of her on the computer, too. :)

6:48 AM  
Blogger Allison said...

yes, she is a beautiful thing! i think every month comes with its challenges, but like you, when i look back at all of the growth and changes the good things/days/moments always shine the brightest. it sounds like she is developing such a defined personality - becoming her own little person - what a fun age this must be!

7:59 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Beautiful. Lovely pictures too. Cherish the moments.

9:48 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

These are always tear jerkers, that last paragraph got me. Love the photos, I feel I say that all the time but it couldn't be more true. She is a bright thing, inside and out :)

Your heart must explode when she's singing to herself.

6:54 AM  
Blogger Potato said...

Lovely post. That last picture is a heartstopper. Loving your blog!

10:13 AM  
Blogger christina said...

Love that last photo. Can't believe how big she is...how the age gap narrows...and also, how adorable. Donkeys DO say honkey, of course!

7:06 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a beautiful post, and the pictures are gorgeous. She looks like a little elf in the last one. I simply love the tones ... they're stunning.

Every month I think "this is the most amazing time ever". And every month it's true. This is truly a really fun age, though.

12:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home