Thursday, March 29, 2007

Twenty-Two Months Old

This twenty-second month finds Pearl well into toddlerhood. It is getting harder and harder to think of her as a baby.



This month I watched in something akin to awe as she put her shoe on for the very first time, on the correct foot, velcro in place and all. How did she learn to do that? When did all the necessary skills fall into place? I felt close to bursting with elation and pride as she continued on with the other shoe, saying "Leff foot, leff foot" as she tried to put it on, too.

She is learning so much, every day. Her mind is an amazing thing.

Pearl loves our kitties so very much. She spends a good part of the day patting them, whacking them, sitting on them... it is a sort of tough love I guess. She also gives them hugs and will often refuse to leave a room until they come along too, and she gets upset when they jump over the gates and leave her behind. When we let Left Eye outside (or when he lets himself out when we go!) she will trail him around the yard endlessly. Her affection for them is pretty sweet and almost makes up for all the trouble they cause!

Lainie and Left Eye

With Spring's arrival we have been spending a great deal of time out in the yard and outside in general, experiencing all that the new season has to offer and teaching her about it - going beyond the generic 'flower' and saying daffodil, dandelion, tulip... leaning down to sniff them and saying, "Smells good!" Digging in the dirt and planting seeds and using our watering cans.

New Toy


All the fresh air and excercise she's been getting have greatly increased her appetite. She still nurses quite a bit but the balance between milkies and solid food has definitely changed this month.

Pearl has had an awful case of the fake sneezes this month. At random they will seize her and then it's "AhhhCHOO! AhhhCHOO!" over and over in the car, in the shopping cart, while eating dinner. All we can do for the poor dear is say, "Oh my goodness! What big sneezes!"

We are seeing more "terrible two's" behavior... a defiant streak showing up, lots of frustration, a meltdown upon leaving the park... but for the most part Pearl is still a pretty mellow, easy-going child. Getting her to sleep the past few weeks has been difficult, but I blame teething as usual. She sprouted her second canine this month, and her bottom two are on the way.

Even now, over two and a half years since I realized that I was going to have a baby, I have trouble believing my life with her is real sometimes. Moments will catch me and it will just seem impossible - like it's too good to believe, I guess. It is certainly very good.

Labels: , ,

5 Comments:

Blogger dillyweed said...

I love the pictures. What kind of camera is that? So crisp and sweet.
At 22 months she is putting on her shoes - on the correct foot even? I'm impressed. At nearly 21 months Dylan loves his "jooz" (shoes), but can't put them on himself yet. You've got a smart little girl there! :)

1:52 PM  
Blogger christina said...

You take such beautiful pictures of Pearl. She's SO BIG now!

3:24 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a very sweet post, and I can certainly see, especially in the last picture, that she is starting to look more like a little girl than a baby...though I'm guessing that may not be what you want to hear... She is so beautiful though!

11:10 AM  
Blogger Potato said...

I love your letters to Pearl, your love just shines so bright in your writing. The case of the fake sneezes made me smile.

9:30 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That first picture is simply stunning. I so miss our outgoing kitty, and I know M does too. The last remaining feline in our house spends all of her time in the basement, although she has started venturing upstairs tentatively, and even let M pet her the other day. We were both very excited at that development. M puts her shoes on too, but they are ALWAYS on the wrong foot. Every single time. It looks so painful to me, I switch them immediately.

8:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home