Friday, July 29, 2005

Holy Crap, What an Amazing Day!

Along with the success of the first movie theater venture with Pearl, something else monumentous has happened today.

This is the first time I have announced these plans to any but my husband: we are planning on trying elimination communication with Pearl.

Elimination communication is basically this: at a very early age, with the best window of opportunity being between birth and 4-5 months of age, you learn to communicate with your baby about their elimination needs. This is a two way communication: you learn the patterns of your baby's eliminations and how to interpret the cues they give about impending pee or poop; and you also make a sound (psssst is the one we're using) whenever they go, and they learn to associate that sound with elimination and go when you make it. Supposedly!

Since Pearl seems to have a very regular schedule at least with urination, and hates having wet diapers, I thought she would be a good candidate for this and my husband agreed. So, we ordered this very little Baby Bjorn potty, and I set about observing when she peed:



I haven't really noticed a consistent sign she's giving about impending pee. Sometimes she grunts and wiggles before she poops, but not always. Sometimes she does the same thing and just pees.

Anyways, today after we got home from our afternoon in town, the little potty had arrived! So about ten minutes after she finished eating, which is when I've observed her peeing, I sat her on the little potty, supporting her of course, and said, "Psst psst psssssst."

Did that for a few minutes, when lo and behold, with no warning, she POOPED IN THE POTTY!

You could've knocked me over with a feather. Now I know it's more likely that it was a combination of luck and my knowledge of when she goes than her actually knowing what was wanted of her, but damn, what an encouraging start!

I have photographic proof of this amazing occurence but feel just a bit weird about sharing my daughter's poop with the internet, so I've posted it to flickr as visible only to friends and family. You can click here to see if you are one of those! (And if you're not but you'd like to be, let me know!)

Ok, off to clean out the potty!

ETA: She is still going to be wearing diapers! We will just try to catch her pee/poop in the potty when we can and not stress about missing it.

5 Comments:

Blogger ginger said...

That is really cool! Go Pearl!!

7:53 PM  
Blogger Elaine said...

Yay for Pearl!

I've been going back and forth on this one as well. I tried it with Lily, but got really lazy and didn't stick to it. Don't see why I'd be different this time, but I am still thinking we might give it a go.

8:00 PM  
Blogger Daph said...

That's cool! We heard about EC when I was still pregnant with Phoebe, but never gave it a go. Good for you guys, though! I've heard once you get a system going it's fairly easy to maintain.

1:07 PM  
Blogger Charles Riedmueller said...

I've never heard of doing this so early.

1:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi!

I was googling for info on Bjorn potties and cloth diapers and your blog came up. From there, I meandered over to your photos - WOW. Absolutely gorgeous photographs, you have definitely got a handle on light!

I am impressed. :) I would love to visit your photos again in the future - I live in Austin, TX - am a mom to two very sweet little girls (ages 25 months & 4 yrs) and love photography myself. :)

6:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home