Wednesday, September 14, 2005

A House

I try to be happy with what I have, but lately I have really, really been wanting my own house. A house with central heating and air. A house with a dishwasher, a garbage disposal, a real shower. A house with a washer and dryer so I don't have to leave the house any time I want to do laundry, which needs to be done 4x a week. A house where I can paint the walls whatever color I want. A house where it takes more than five steps to get from one end to the other. A house where I could drink the water and wash the baby's toys in the tap water without being worried about possible contaminants from cow feces in the well water, lead in the pipes.

I do feel fortunate that we have this place to live, rent free. If we didn't we would be in a much different situation, one where I undoubtedly would not be able to take care of Pearl full time, and that is what is most important to me, so I am grateful. It's not a hovel by any means... it's a good little house, other than the aforementioned complaints. But I also can't help feeling a little beholden, and that's not really fun.

Mr. Peach has a couple of prospects for new jobs at the university where he works, nothing concrete enough to feel good about, but possible enough to create a tiny bit of shiny, sparkly hope... hope that soon he'll have a job he enjoys more, hope that he'll soon be making enough to be able to afford house payments. That would be really, really nice.

3 Comments:

Blogger Charles Riedmueller said...

Caity and I are in the process of buying a new home. I know how you feel. Pqyments will be in the $700 to $1000 range for a decent 2-bedroom, though.

6:58 PM  
Blogger JulieB said...

Hold the vision and you'll get there. Altho I owned it my first little house downtown was in your category - 900 sq feet, built in 1908, very funky plumbing, no garbage disposal, no dishwasher, and I did my laundry at the laundromat. But hang in there, if you hold that vision of your own place with a few amenities, it'll happen.

2:08 PM  
Blogger Elaine said...

The first home we owned, I remember coming home one day to rain in the living room. An upstair toilet had over flowed and was making a horrid mess. I reached for the phone to call the landlord and almost cried when I realized we were it. Ah well... it's still really nice to do what we want to the place!

3:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home