Friday, September 16, 2005

Sweetness

It's a chilly day here, and dreary, perfect for spending time cuddling with Pearl. Rain finally came and the weather went from terribly hot and dry to wet and cool... no warm in between that I was looking forward to. Maybe it'll still come, but for right now it just feels like time to huddle beneath a blanket. However groceries need to be purchased, so we'll have to take a break from the snuggling and go into town... again. We made the trip yesterday to visit with family again at my sister's house. My older brother came too, he hadn't seen the babies in a while so that was fun. Pearl was a bit more social this time but she still wasn't to sure about Those Other People and wanted to be held mainly by me. She went in a baby swing for the first time - she laid in it quietly for a while and then slept, had a very good nap that lasted until Kaida screamed through a diaper change and woke her. After how easily she went to sleep in the swing I was feeling the temptation to get one for myself, but we really don't have room in our house for a bunch of baby junk and I reminded myself that she is only going to be this little once, and then I felt better about having to spend a lot of time nursing or bouncing or rocking her to sleep. I'm going to cherish the time I get to be close to her rather than buy a bunch of stuff to make things more convenient. Concurrently, I am going to stress less about the housework. I have the rest of my life to have a clean house and only once to enjoy Pearl's babyhood. So if she needs me to walk her around or entertain her I'm going to do so with a clear mind and not be stressing out about the dishes that need done or the clutter strewn about the house. Those things can wait.

Lately she has been returning my kisses with kisses of her own, mouth opened wide against my cheek when I kiss hers. It is the sweetest, sweetest thing.

3 Comments:

Blogger pretendingsanity said...

you have learned the best mommy hood lesson. You're right, who cares if there are dishes. good job mama.

9:58 AM  
Blogger Elaine said...

I am so impressed. Most of us miss babyhood while we figure that one out. You are a mama genius!

2:41 PM  
Blogger Mama C-ta said...

I admire you for wanting to rock your baby instead of a swing. I have a love/hate relationship w/ours. I refuse to use it during the day anymore but sometimes it's the only thing that will calm him at night. I can relate to everything you say, always!

6:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home