Thursday, November 10, 2005

My Camera Is Broken

Today my camera decided to die. Its shutter does a little death dance every time I try to turn it on. This comes hard on the heels of a spending spree; holiday dresses, Christmas tree and ornaments.

I bought a fake Christmas tree. It was a hard choice between real and fake and fake won, though I feel a little sad about it. My family always had real trees growing up, just cedars chopped down from our woods for the poorer Christmases. The fact that our culture steadily replaces such things with plastic representations seems strange to me and doesn't sit well, but here I am joining in on it.

Maybe in years to come, when this tree is worn down, we'll have a real tree. Or maybe I'll get a small potted pine, just for the scent and the nostalgia. Any tree at all is an improvement over past holidays. Mr. Peach is a total grinch and we've never had a tree in the three Christmases we've been together. Last year we had a Christmas Lamp.

Pearl has been decidely difficult in the evenings for a week or so now. She refuses to sleep in between the hours of five and nine, which wouldn't be a problem if she could stay awake cheerfully that long. So couple that with the early awakenings and my days both end and start stressfully, trying to get a tired baby to sleep.

8 Comments:

Blogger pretendingsanity said...

oh, I am so sad about your camera!! How will I get my pearl fix?

7:18 PM  
Blogger christina said...

Bummer about the camera...

I could never do the plastic trees-what you said about replacing real with plastic representations sums it up for me, pretty much... but they are reusable!

Bedtime--round about Pearl's age is when we started a bedtime routine with Bean. At around 7:00 we do a bath (Bean & I together in the tub) then lullabies, pjs and nursing. He fought it at first--but I just lay with him in the dark and comforted him. Then he got used to the routine and his body started predicting that sleep was next. Now he goes to sleep (usually) right on cue. And, except for recent events, sleeps pretty much through the night--save for a nursing or two. I think I read about the bedtime routine in Dr. Sear's book Nighttime Parenting.. hope your evenings improve!

8:59 PM  
Blogger Charles Riedmueller said...

Tell Mr. Peach Charlie says he's a Scrooge, too. We get a real tree every year.

We went the other way around, though. We were both brought up with fake trees and decided to go real. Since we've been together, we have gotten our trees from a great outfit called "Wisconsin Tree Farm". They set up every year near the Gator Golf, and have really soft well-formed evergreens.

9:34 PM  
Blogger Mama C-ta said...

OMG that Xmas lamp!! LOLOLOL too funny. I'm w/you on the fake trees, hate them, it feels wrong but still do it.

Sorry about your camera, I don't go anywhere w/out mine :( I'm gonna miss Pearl, I hope you are able to get it fixed ASAP!

3:18 PM  
Blogger Mama C-ta said...

PS, I'm sooo sorry about your stress w/Pearl not sleeping. Any ideas what it is or is this just normal baby stuff I have to look forward to?

3:19 PM  
Blogger Daph said...

So sorry to hear about Pearl's sleep troubles, and the death of the camera. Maybe they're both just going through a phase? LOL

I hear you on the Christmas tree thing, but we broke down last year and bought a fake tree because a) it's cheaper, and b) there's something kind of sad about going to a Christmas tree farm to chop down a tree to decorate the livingroom for only a few weeks, ya know? Anyway, that's how I made myself feel better about it.

5:59 PM  
Blogger JulieB said...

When my kids were small I had decided on the potted tree route.
I bought a small Douglas Fir (!) and planted it in half a wine barrel. Pretty funny, since the container dwarfed the tree! But I pruned it into a nice shape and over the years it grew into its container. The last I saw it was 6 feet and doing fine. (you also have to prune the roots, but that's a long story)
The interesting thing about this (besides needing 2 men and a hand truck to move it inside) were the critters that came in with it. Most of them hated the warm dry house and promptly died (6 legged things) but the salamanders, the occasional garden snake, and the spiders all thought it was a great time to hop out and explore. The salamanders were transported outside since they die fairly quickly when they get too dry. The snakes were a challenge. They loved under the couch, the beds, anywhere, and the boys aided and abetted their escapist abilities.
The spiders....euuwww...I smacked them; earning lifetime bad spider charma.

11:16 AM  
Blogger fuzzypeach said...

It is interesting to see how people feel about it... I waver between being glad I went with fake and wishing I'd kept it real (hehe). So wishywashy! But then I remind myself that the things involved aren't the important part; it's the people. Creating a holiday tradition with my little family is what I am trying to do by having the tree, and in the end it will be just as nice with a fake tree as a real one - or vice versa.

There's your sappy moral-to-the-story thing for today;)

11:37 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home