Saturday, November 26, 2005

Six Months Old

My little baby is six months old and I can't believe it. A whole half-year has flown by since the day Pearl was born, since I first saw her face and heard her voice. Sometimes I look at her and can't help but think of when she was first in my arms, because she looks just the same - especially when she cries. She did not cry when she was born but she grimaced against the light, not a very pretty expression, but still the most precious face I had ever seen. I was so happy to meet her.

And now she is six months old and the sweetest little bundle of fun! She plays several silly games with us. When I am laying down with her and she is on her belly, she will plant her face on the bed, then fling her head up and smile the biggest smile at me! She loves for me to play "This Little Piggy" with her and she loves to be tossed in the air. She's also really been enjoying banging on things - tupperware containers, the keyboard, the buckle on her car seat. The latest game she likes to play with her daddy is a screaming game - he will scream and laugh, and then she will scream and laugh, and they'll continue on in that vein for a while. It's really funny, and really loud.



A few days ago Mr. Peach was playing with her on the floor, and he got up to go get something and left Pearl sitting alone. I said, "You can't leave her there! She'll fall over!" But she didn't. She just kept on sitting by herself! She grows and changes so fast that things like this are hard for me to wrap my head around.



The pottying is going about the same: a stretch of good days with a few misses, then a shorter spell of more misses than catches. On those days it seems like she is fussier and has more problems with naps as well; teething perhaps. That's how my wisdom teeth pain goes, for a while they'll be fine then I'll get a few days of pain, then fine again. Maybe her teeth are following that pattern. Other than those off days, she is generally a sunshiny girl, full of smiles and laughs.

Our early morning wake-ups have not improved; in fact, the sleep situation has worsened with the addition of a 2am nightwaking. I thought this might be a diaper issue so we bought some disposables to try. The first night there was no difference but last night she slept until 5am so perhaps the disposables have settled the issue. If it's not a diaper thing, it's a crawling thing, because she uses her nightwaking time to practice. She is trying very hard to crawl! She gets her butt way up in the air, then her front half. If she ever gets the two put together I'll have to baby-proof the house but for now we're still putting it off. She's already gotten up on hands and knees at least once, so we had probably better get with it!



So, happy half-year birthday, my dear little Pearl. These have been the most joyous, intense, bittersweet six months of my life.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sorry, this is off-topic, but I'm Mike GR from Treehugger.com and found your site through our referrals. I just want to thank you for linking to us.

Have a nice day,

Mike

1:52 PM  
Blogger Elaine said...

Happy 1/2 birthday little girl! We love you on the west coast!

2:15 PM  
Blogger Charles Riedmueller said...

Wow. And oh my, she is adorable!

7:12 PM  
Blogger sarahgrace said...

She is adorable!
And I totally can relate to using the night wakings to try and figure out how to crawl. Beau knows how to crawl now, so when he wakes up we have to be careful to not let him fall off the bed (four foot drop.) He has also taken to headbutting whatever his head finds when he wakes up, the headboard, the pillow, mommy, daddy...

11:01 PM  
Blogger Mrs. Flinger said...

OH MY!! She's so adorable (as always) and growing into her own little girl now. So cute!

8:30 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nooooo, she's 6 months already?!! Can't be! I can imagine how things are hard to wrap your head around as they learn to do so much on their own. She's such a beauty.

5:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home