Sunday, November 13, 2005

The Gods Are Punishing Me for Shopping

So I mentioned a few posts back that I'd been spending money. I worked out a budget at the beginning of this month, as my husband gets paid monthly. I determined how much extra money we would have and what I wanted to spend it on, and then I went and spent it. That was where I went wrong. I should've waited until the end of the month to spend the extra money, because of course things are going to come up.

Like a broken camera. And after one goes and spends a hefty sum on a new camera by way of the savings account, the motorcycle breaks. And after the motorcycle breaks, the sink springs an unfixable leak. And so it ends up that the extra money wasn't so extra after all.

That is my budgeting lesson for the month. Extra money gets spent at the END of the month.

4 Comments:

Blogger Charles Riedmueller said...

Oh, I'm so sorry to hear that. Just my luck, too. But I guess the lesson learned will pay you back even more in the end, right?

9:45 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I sure hope so.

-S

6:28 AM  
Blogger JulieB said...

No - you did just fine. Your regular expenses weren't higher than your budget.
Things motorcycle maintenance (oil change, new tires, tune up, etc) are budgetable items. Blowing a cylinder is not.
Buying Draino for the drains, is a budget item. Sink structure failure is not.
Those are "capital" items and they are what a savings account or, in some cases, loans, are for.
Now the new camera . . . ;)
Julie aka "the accountant"

11:06 AM  
Blogger Mama C-ta said...

Aww, that sucks. I swear that's how things work around here too.

Budgeting when paid monthly is HARD, I know I have trouble when paid bi-weekly!

5:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home