Monday, December 05, 2005

A Bit of This, A Bit of That

This past weekend we had a second Thanksgiving - which means Mr. Peach roasted a turkey, and I baked some pumpkin pies. I found a recipe that called for milk rather than some form of canned milk so it was easy to use almond milk as a substitute. At the real Thanksgiving dinners I had lots of mashed potatoes made with butter and milk, and Pearl didn't have any sort of reaction to it - either I didn't consume enough dairy for it to affect her, or she's outgrown it. I'm too scared to experiment and see though!

We bought a little booster seat for Pearl so that she could join us at dinnertime, as she has started tasting food and becoming indignant about being excluded from the table. It's ugly as sin, but it was cheap and readily available at Target. I didn't want to buy a full-size high chair for two reasons: a) our house is tiny, and b) my parents are talking about making one for Pearl for Christmas. I didn't want to wait that long, and my parents can be a bit flaky. My mom said she was going to buy us some cloth diapers before Pearl was born, and she didn't. Then she said she'd buy some when Pearl outgrew the first size, and she didn't. Which is fine and all, I'm not particularly upset or anything, I'm just not going to depend on them for a high chair.

At any rate, this new booster seat is easy to use, easy to clean, and portable! Other than the ugly factor it's a great little chair. I learned the hard way about ugly/pretty vs. functionality in baby gear through my diaper bag. The only thing I like about it is its looks. Both its zippers have broken. I am now in the market for a small, sturdy, possibly ugly diaper bag.

This weekend I have been sewing stockings for my little family and other than the cuffs they turned out great. I'm going to sew new cuffs on them because I thought I'd be smart and clever and only stitch them down in a few places, and not close enough over the unfinished edge of the stocking fabric, and then realizing I needed to stitch them down completely, yeah, ugly mess. So, new cuffs, then the stockings will be complete and I will post pictures.

This will be our first year not only with a Christmas tree, but with stockings as well, so I'm really having fun picking up stocking stuffers.

4 Comments:

Blogger christina said...

There is such a fine line between really cool but not functional, and really functional but not cool at all when it comes to baby gear. We have the Skip Hop diaper bag--which is pretty non-descript from the outside, but excellent! And not too girly that my husband won't carry it, which he threatened with some of the bags we saw. Here's a link to it... http://www.babyuniverse.com/pro/baby/81800/ExpoDiaperBagStrollerBag-Black.html

Oh and I'm dying to know how you plan to keep Pearl away from your tree?? We're almost considering not getting a tree this year so that Bean doesn't pull it over...

6:48 AM  
Blogger fuzzypeach said...

Christina, unless she gets really mobile in the next three weeks I'm not going to worry about it... and if she does... well, hmmmmm, good question. Is there any way to anchor it to a wall or something? I know they have such anchors for furniture, I wonder if they could be adapted for use with a Christmas tree? That's the only thing I can think of...

7:17 AM  
Blogger fuzzypeach said...

Oh, and thanks for the diaper bag recs!!

7:20 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love the diaper bag you had and thought I wanted one of those at first but then I didn't think they looked very durable. I don't care for mine very much either but it holds up well.

I really hope Pearl has outgrown any food issues! We have a Peg Perego high chair ($$) that was a gift otherwise we would have one similar to yours. I found one through One Step Ahead w/very neutral colors. I kind of wish we had it instead of this big honkin' high chair. But it is a realllllly nice highchair. It would be very cool if one was made for her!

7:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home