Wednesday, December 07, 2005

Not Ready Yet! (Now with Article!)

A few evenings ago I tried to give Pearl some mashed up bananas. She spit them out and gagged a little and shortly afterwards threw up what she had swallowed! So we're holding off on giving her more solids for a few weeks or so, and will be skipping the spoon altogether - except as a chew toy:



I read an interesting article on starting babies on solids via self-feeding rather than mush on a spoon but I can't find it and Pearl is fussing, so I'll try to find it later.

Okay, here is the article:

Guidelines for Implementing a Baby-Led Approach to the Introduction of Solid Foods written by Gill Rapley, Deputy Program Director of UNICEF UK Baby Friendly Initiative.

8 Comments:

Blogger Elaine said...

I'd like to see that when you can dig it up!

7:16 AM  
Blogger Elaine said...

Great article! I think we'll dig out Lily's old chair (much like yours, btw) and see if we can start putting things in front of her. She's showing every sign except for the presence of a tooth, so I think we'll probably give it a go soon (although not while Mark's out of town!).

1:15 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

wow, those are some eyes
beautiful baby!

3:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very interesting, I learn so much by coming to your site! I might have to use that as our guide (if Bryan agrees with it) I never really heard about doing it this way but it makes perfect sense to me.

7:28 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

PS I might post that article on my site too :) but will give you all the credit

7:28 PM  
Blogger JulieB said...

Evan sat at the table with us when we ate. I would put something in front of him - some cooked potato that I had put thru the baby food grinder, or some cottage cheese, or some mashed fruit. He stuck his fingers in it and tasted. He liked the fruit and mashed potatoes. Eventually he would want to taste what was on my plate, so I would take a bit and put it in the baby food thing and spoon it onto his plate.
One night we had pizza - his dad gave him a thin slice, pepperoni and all (oh no!!!). Ev was about 9 months old, but pizza was good and he digested it OK. He must have had an iron stomach.
He ate mostly baby food grinder food until he was old enough to moosh up stuff for himself.

1:20 PM  
Blogger christina said...

Once we started giving bean little bits of soft food that he could eat himself his interest in food just took off. He likes eating "people food" rather than "baby food" so much--and he likes flavorful stuff (pesto, mild curry, apple sauce with cinnimon) over bland stuff (plain rice cereal)... it makes sense to me. The thinkg I love about how you're parenting is you're trusting your gut instincts with Pearl. You can't go wrong with that, I believe!

6:58 AM  
Blogger sarahgrace said...

Thanks for posting that article-very interesting and just what I needed to read.

8:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home