Friday, July 15, 2005

Pork: It's What's for Breakfast!

For Father's Day my husband got a grill and we have been enjoying a variety of food cooked over the flames. Last night it was barbequed pork tenderloins and man, were they good. I had leftovers for breakfast. Now I don't usually have barbeque for breakfast; it's just hard to find breakfast that doesn't involve cooking or milk. I used to be a cereal kind of girl but now that I'm breastfeeding my daughter, that isn't an option.

I stopped eating dairy when she was about two weeks old after reading how babies' digestive systems have a hard time digesting the proteins in cow's milk until they are a few months old and that breastfed mothers' consumption of dairy had been linked to colic in their babies, particularly if the family has a history of milk allergy. I couldn't eat dairy products as a child and neither could my little brother, so I cut it out of my diet hoping it would improve Pearl's gassiness/fussiness. It didn't get rid of her evening fussy time, we still have that, but she did seem less cranky during the day. Well, last Friday we went out for pizza with my parents and that cheese (oh, it was so good, so, so tasty) was the first dairy product I'd had in a while. A few hours later, which also happened to be Fussy Time, Pearl screamed and screamed! Now she does usually cry during Fussy Time (obviously) but usually bouncing in her bouncy chair and taking a walk outside will quiet her down. This time, however, she would not be soothed. It was awful, I could tell she was really hurting. So, no more cow's milk for me. We'll try again in a few months and see how it goes.

I really, really miss ice cream.

3 Comments:

Blogger Daph said...

Okay, first of all, your title almost made me shoot my drink out of my nose! LOL

Second of all, I KNOW what you're going through with the dairy stuff! I also had to cut out onions, which doesn't seem like a big deal but I really missed them.

8:05 AM  
Blogger Elaine said...

I too had to cut out the dairy when I had Lil. Now we put rice milk on our cereal and it is super yummy.

But nothing, and I mean nothing can take the place of ice cream.

3:40 PM  
Blogger ginger said...

Thanks for letting me know your new page! It looks cute. I can't believe baby girl is 6 weeks already.

8:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home