Tuesday, August 02, 2005

Elimination Communication Update

Don't you just love saying "Elimination Communication?" I do. It's great fun, has a lovely rhyme and cadence.

Anyways, I was going to keep my mouth shut on the whole EC thing for a day or two but daphneblue expressed interest, so prepare for gushing about tinkles and cues and so forth!

As I mentioned the other day, intuition is a good thing. I just stick Pearl on the little potty whenever I start feeling like she needs to go, and say "pssssssssssssssss" and she pees. Well, not every time, of course, and of course there are still wet diapers, but yesterday she peed in the potty four times and today I haven't been keeping track - but it's been very successful! She had a lot of wet diapers in between waking up and her first nap, didn't put her on the potty at all in that period, but after that I have been putting her on it and I think we've just had one wet diaper, she woke up wet from a nap. It seems like she needs to pee twice in between each feeding. I say "pssssst" and she goes! It's really amazing. I expected it to be successful but I didn't really expect to have this measure of success so soon. And it's not more trouble than a diaper change, really - I take her over to the same spot as I would to change her diaper, take the diaper off, put a diaper on, take either a dirty diaper to the diaper pail and dump some baking soda in too, or take the potty to the toilet and dump and rinse it out.

The diapering situation has to change though. I'd like to be able to get them off as quickly as possible when she starts acting like she needs to go - squirming, popping off the breast, getting a little fussy. Unfortunately the wool soakers I crocheted are harder to get on and off than I would like, and wrestling with the snappi is time consuming too. Although she hasn't peed during the undiapering yet, she waits til she's on the potty and I say "pssss, psssssst" to go, so maybe it's not such a big deal. Still, easier is better when it comes to diapering so I am going to continue converting prefolds into fitted with velcro, and make some wool wrap-style covers that also close with velcro, so I can whip them both right off when the time comes. Perhaps by the time I get all that accomplished, I will have more confidence in our EC abilities and won't be so concerned about it. At the moment I'm still kind of wary.

Again, I am amazed by how successful we have been. It really seems to be a natural way to take care of her elimination needs, too, considering how well she's taken to it. I don't think she's "trained" at all, I think there is something much more basic and instinctual about it. I remember when I first heard about elimination communication, in the context of being how babies' elimination is dealt with in China, and thinking it was really, really weird - they have the bottomless pants and just hold the baby away from them when it's time for them to go. It doesn't seem nearly so weird now!

2 Comments:

Blogger ginger said...

This is so interesting!

And yes, it is fun to say... it is kinda the same as saying:

Emancipation Proclamation!
Elimination Communication!

Hehee

2:52 PM  
Blogger Mama C-ta said...

I must admit I always thought it was a tad odd but that was partly b/c I didn't really understand it. And I thought that EC meant you never used diapers, I like that you use a combo for now. I'm glad it's going so well for you, inspiring!

1:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home