Thursday, August 04, 2005

A Very Tired Girl




Pearl has been very, very sleepy today! She is still really young and is supposed to sleep a lot I know, but today she has slept even more than usual.

We got up at an ungodly hour to make it to an eight o'clock well baby visit. It was quite strange to have to be waking up and getting ready to go somewhere, rather than sleeping as long as Pearl will allow.

Her well baby visit went well - she now weighs 12lb 12oz and is 23 3/4 inch long, in the 95th percentile for both those measurements. Her head was in the 75th percentile, measuring in at 15 and a bit more inches around.

We told the doctor that we did not want Pearl vaccinated at this point and he was less critical than I expected; less critical than the doctor we saw last time. He made a note of it on her chart so hopefully we won't be badgered about it next time.

I am not overly fond of our pediatric clinic. I know you're "supposed" to go and interview pediatricians and pick one you like while you're pregnant, but that would entail going out and talking to strange people. Not my cup of tea, thank you. I regret it a bit now. There are like ten doctors who practice at this clinic and while you can state a preference for who you'd like to see, there's no guarantee that that doctor will have a slot open. The receptionists are not very friendly either. I want them happy to see me, damn it! We're paying them a lot of money! Well, our insurance is paying a lot, at least, and we're paying a little.

And today was kind of weird... the clinic has two entryways, one for well visits, and one for urgent care. I thought this was a nice feature, you know, seperate waiting rooms for the sick kids and the ones just getting checkups. Well, today we went in the well visit entrance as usual and told the lady we had an appointment, and after puttering around on her computer she says, "Oh, well visits first thing in the morning, you go to the urgent care entrance, on the other side of the building." Well, how nice of you to tell us beforehand, people! And what were the other people in the waiting room doing, then? Why didn't they have to go to the other entrance?

We have an appointment with yet another different doctor when Pearl is four months old and I'm thinking about finding somewhere else to take her... cause even if we love this next doctor there is no guarantee we'll ever see him again! I don't like this luck of the draw business. So I might either find a new place to go or just not go, if she's healthy and I don't have any questions, there's not much of a point to it since we're not having her vaccinated at this point.

5 Comments:

Blogger Elaine said...

We don't really do well baby visits... or vax. But there is nothing worse than a dr who you don't feel like you can trust.

I hate the whole healthcare system.

Blah.

8:55 PM  
Blogger JulieB said...

Keep looking until you find someone(s) you trust and can talk to. I really disliked the doctors that my younger son had. They kept talking about putting him in a full leg cast (he was 3 mo. old!!) to straighten out his slight toe in! Holy Cow! But we were moving from Illinois to N. Calif. so I said "not yet" and got alot of frowns and headshaking. When we got here I hunted for a doc who would take our HMO insurance (!) and who answered the question about what to do with a baby with a toe in problem. Very nice older lady - Dr. Oppenheimer. She was wonderful. She talked about development and what the outcomes could be then after marching his little 5 mo feet back and forth she said. Well, there's nothing dramatic about this, put his shoes (he had little Vans tennies) on opposite feet until his next visit, and we'l talk again. We did, it worked. She was common sense and wonderful.
By the way, she is also the daughter of the famous physicist Oppenheimer, who worked on the Manhatten Project (A-bomb)

10:50 AM  
Blogger christina said...

Your beautiful baby Pearl looks as happy as can be, and you seem VERY in tune with her.. I wouldn't worry about doing the whole well baby thing, but it is nice to have a DR who thinks like you do. So hard to come buy. Good luck.

6:39 AM  
Blogger Mama C-ta said...

I'm glad he didn't give you crap about not vax. I'm surprised, I just thought most docs would.

And I "interviewed" our ped. when pregnant and there was no point b/c I wasn't completely sold but didn't feel like meeting any more strangers so we went w/him anyway! He's not bad but I wasn't blown away, he's pretty open minded w/things like no vax, co-sleeping, etc. It's hard to tell until you actually see them in action w/your kids anyway.

1:30 PM  
Blogger Mrs. Flinger said...

Really.. that is the best picture!!!!

1:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home