Monday, November 20, 2006

10 Things

Ten Random Things:

1. My baby sister is as old now as I was when my relationship with my ex-husband started. How can that be? She seems so young; I felt so old...

2. This morning I totally forgot and missed Pearl's 18 month well-baby visit. I was very upset with myself as I am anxious about having her turned-in foot reevaluated... the office staff was, as usual, not very kind or sympathetic. I really dislike that clinic. Our make-up appointment is a month and a half away with a completely different doctor than we saw last time.

3. The bank gave us a loan so we can pay off our credit card debt and nip sky-rocketing monthly payments in the bud, woohoo!

4. I am thinking about checking out the local Unitarian Universalist church.

5. This evening when I was moving some cookies I'd baked from the pan to a platter, I placed them in stacks rather than in a pile all willy-nilly. While doing so I had a flashback to my own childhood - standing at just above kitchen-counter height, eagerly watching as my mother placed hot chocolate chip cookies in stacks, one stack for each of us, three cookies each!

6. Wintry weather is definitely here: the temperature dips below freezing during the night and my husband rides his bike through a frosted landscape to work. The trees that line the backyard have lost all their leaves and the sun sets now as I cook supper, watching the pale pink and blue sky through the lacework of their branches.

7. I love the movie My Neighbor Totoro. Sweet, funny, magical. Beautiful artwork. No violence, the 'bad guy' is a real child's fear - the loss of a parent. This is the first anime I've really enjoyed (though I must admit that my exposure to it so far has been limited to Dragon Ball Z, Pokemon, and Sailor Moon!). I've watched it with Pearl a few times - she seems to enjoy it too.

8. We splurged this year and ordered an organic turkey. We're saving it until the bliss of Thanksgiving turkey wears off, then we'll roast it - on the Solstice, perhaps?

9. A friend of mine from high school is expecting her first baby, and I don't know that our friendship will survive it. Her parenting style & choices are vastly different from mine, and it breaks my heart to think of what her newborn will be missing out on. My mind says that I should respect her choices, but my heart cries out that they are wrong.

10. A random photo:

Hotsling


Read ten more things at Blueberry Pie, and ten more still at My Topography.

Labels: , ,

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Boy, does your #9 resonate with me- I have a very good friend who choses to raise her children in a very different way than I do too, and it is definitely driving a wedge into our relationship. It sucks...but I'm still fighting for us, even if we don't hang out as often as we used to and we don't help each other out with our kids...

11:22 PM  
Blogger Tuesday Girl said...

my friend joined the unitarian church and loves it!

9:19 AM  
Blogger lauranen said...

#9 must be a common problem - I've just been telling myself to shut up and stop trying to shove my parenting beliefs down my pregnant friends' throats... It seems nearly impossible, but very necessary for the sake of the friendship. I wish I was a bigger person than this.

There's a recent post in the Attachment Parenting Blog that touches the same issue.

5:18 PM  
Blogger christina said...

Your #1 is so intersting--I feel that way often, seeing myself in other people I know. It's amazing how much we're always changing and growing--how we always feel "old" while we're in it, and young and inexperienced when we're beyond it...

Also, your #10.. I so know what you mean. I have friends who think I'm crazy because I don't think massive amounts of candy, tv, and electronic toys are necessary. And because, gasp, I co-slept with my baby and nursed him until he was 16 months old. But also, I've learned that people grow immeasurably by becoming a parent. If your friend isn't a parent yet, wait and see what happens when she feels her heart ripped wide open with such vulnerable love. Some of my less progressive friends have come my way asking for advice even after they nay-sayed my entire approach--because they see my kid and see how happy and well rounded he is.. so hang in ther!

11:49 AM  
Blogger Gretchen said...

I recently went to a wedding at the Unitarian Universalist church in Berkeley, CA and it was lovely. We are planning on going back to check it out as well.

2:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home