Monday, November 13, 2006

To Do with a Tot

My husband wanted me to come up with a list of things to do with Pearl when he's in need of inspiration, and these are the ideas I gathered up. I thought I would share them here, too. I found many, many more ideas but pared them down to the ones I thought most suitable for an eighteen month old. Please feel free to give suggestions! This list is a work in progress.



Around the House:

  • Build a jungle gym (away from hard corners) out of sofa cushions
  • Hide an object under one of two or three cu      ps & have her try to find it
  • Blocks!  Knocking over the tower is a favorite, but try horizontal 'stacking' too! And sorting by shape.  Someday I want to get some colored ones so we can sort them by color.
  • Take her on a blanket ride through the house!
  • Listen to music and dance!
  • Sing and do the movements that go along with:
  • The Wheels on the Bus
  • Itsy Bitsy Spider
  • Patty Cake
  • Head, Shoulders, Knees, and Toes
  • Etc

Get a Little Messy:

  • Paint! (at the table/outside please!)
  • Bubbles!
  • Color with crayons!
  • Texture play - get a few bowls/containers.  Fill them with cheap, differently textured stuff - one or two kinds at a time.  Include measuring cups for scooping; funnels, slotted spoons.  Talk about the color, texture, size, shape, taste if she tastes it!  Add a container of water if you want to get really wild.
cornstarch
cornmeal
oatmeal
ice cubes
cotton balls
jello
pudding
dry beans
rice
flour

Get Out:

Go to the park!
Go outside!
Go to the library!

On the Computer:

  • Explore Flickr - try photos other than those of herself.  Family members is okay but I think better yet would be animals: kitties, puppies, birds.  A tag search for pets and then talking about/identifying the kinds of pets, for example.  Body parts would be another good one (careful with that one though! ;) )
  • Kneebouncers - this is a site with lots of simple flash games.  Some of them require aiming, but others (the guitar/keyboard/drums one is good) just respond to banging on the keyboard and/or clicking mouse buttons
  • Make a Jackson Pollock painting - Move mouse to paint, click button to change colors.
  • YouTube for Toddlers - This a list full of links of toddler-entertaining YouTube clips.  And let's not forget her favorite, the Silly Kitties video.
  • Music Videos on Noggin - Can't go wrong with Laurie Berkner, Dan Zanes, and Elizabeth Mitchell!
  • Learn some new signs!



Labels: , , ,

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I totally just printed this list. It's fantastic! I get in the habit of doing the same thing so I really needed the list of inspiration too. You are a born mother.

6:27 AM  
Blogger merseydotes said...

I don't know how old Pearl is, but she may enjoy sidewalk chalk outside. Also, she may enjoy making pictures with a Magnadoodle or Aquadoodle (no mess! easy for toddler hands!), playing with refrigerator magnets and making music with maracas/tambourine/etc.

7:02 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Now that it's raining, I've been thinking of new activities to do inside. My boy's only 7 months, so he's still pretty easy to entertain, but I can't wait until he is older and we can do crafts together and get messy!

10:34 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Don't forget the classic "Home Band"

I like to put things in coffee containers that make noises (but aren't chokable if he opens it) and we play them like musical instruments or just shake them. We have a few toys that have shaker things already in them so we like to use those!

12:34 PM  
Blogger Keri said...

Hi there! I came over here from Mama C-ta's site. Here's another idea: if you don't have a play kitchen, you can draw a little stove on a box and place small (real) pots on it along with a colander, spatula and other fun utensils. My son has the wooden veggies/fruits that you can "cut" up. He LOVES putting the veggies/fruits in the pots and stir. There's always the ever-famous pot-banging, too. ;)

7:24 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

These are some great ideas!! I always have a hard time coming up with new things for my boys to do. Maybe if I forced myself to sit down and write a list, I'd come up with something...

9:26 AM  
Blogger Susan D. said...

My li'l one is all about Play-Doh - if Pearl is past putting everything in her mouth, you might give it a try. Oh, and by the way, thanks for the Silly Kitties link - my girl is going to love it!

4:08 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home