Monday, November 06, 2006

Today, I Voted

I wrapped Pearl up in the mei tai today and voted early in the County Clerk's office. I was feeling really, really ambivalent about voting this time around but decided to go ahead and do it. The past two Presidential elections left me very disillusioned about the state of our democracy. Given everything we've learned about the '04 election since then, the lies and scandals that ooze forth from our government on a constant basis, and the lack of repercussions for wrongs done - it just seems kind of pointless to me, to vote. Maybe once, my vote would've counted. Since this was a local election, and I opted to vote using a paper ballot, perhaps it will still. But I don't feel very hopeful about things changing vastly for the better. I lack the money, the power, the connections of those who run this country and so I don't think I can do anything about it. Call me lazy, call me a pessimist; I won't argue. That's where I stand on politics at the moment.

It's gray and gloomy outside and I just don't have it in me to be very hopeful right now. Even so I want to encourage everyone to vote... and to stay away from the touch screens. Choose the paper ballot, if you have that option - don't let your vote slip away without a trace.

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Emily Fry Photography said...

i feel the exact same way about voting.

11:09 AM  
Blogger merseydotes said...

I may be totally biased, having a hubby who's a campaign consultant, but I do think votes matter in state and local races. When it's your member of Congress or your city council, I think every vote counts. Senator and Governor, you're starting to get a little less valuable. And President...well, yeah, it's hard to justify the "one vote" thing when our country elects by electoral college instead of popular vote.

11:13 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home