Thursday, May 03, 2007

I've Gone Shirr Crazy!

Hehe.

Using this tutorial as a starting point, I made Pearl this shirred dress out of some fabric I've had for at least five years. I am very much a pack rat. I have not been steadily sewing for five years or anything, just hanging on to some fabric I bought. Good thing I did, because it turned out to be a pretty cute dress. Pardon the wrinkles, I was doing good to get her dressed and into the yard and the camera and all that, no way was I gonna stop to iron:

Mama-Made Dress





That dress was so fun to make that I went straight on to another shirring project, a top made from a fat quarter I got as a door prize at a local quilt show recently. It was just barely big enough for the purpose!

Mama-Made Shirt



Since this shirring business is so enjoyable to me, but I don't want Pearl's wardrobe to consist entirely of shirred clothing, next up is something for me. Either a dress or a top, haven't decided which yet.


Labels: , ,

5 Comments:

Blogger merseydotes said...

I'm so jealous of your skills!

Is shirring the same as smocking?

6:24 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You did such a great job, and she looks adorable!

6:59 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

They look great!! If that's your first time at shirring(?) I'm extremely impressed! There's nothing handmade looking about them (but in a good way).

She looks so different to me in that first pic - more mature. I'm not sure I've seen her w/that expression before.

5:45 PM  
Blogger fuzzypeach said...

Thanks all!

Merseydotes, I think the difference is that shirring is done in straight lines and in smocking the lines criss-cross. That's about all I know, I don't know if you smock with the elastic thread or not...

7:15 AM  
Blogger jena strong said...

Sweet dress!

I have a little Pearl too - she is 13 months old! I would love to trade Pearl stories - why did you choose that name? I look forward to checking out your blog!

6:44 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home