Tuesday, May 22, 2007

This & That

I always have lots of things I want to write about, and no time to write as much as I want to so I end up writing nothing at all. It's either write here or do Other Things, and Other Things always tend to win.

But Pearl is taking a long nap and I've gotten quite a bit done this afternoon, and the wind feels good coming in through the window, bearing the sounds of rustling leaves and the sonorous wind chimes my parents got me for Christmas... so I'm letting myself sit here and do a bit of catching up.

I got braces on my teeth the day after my birthday! I was excited and wanted to write about that but then I was in so much excruciating pain, along with being constantly ravenous since I couldn't eat much, that I didn't even want to think about them. I underestimated how painful they would be and didn't really stock up soft foods or anything because I didn't think it would be such a big deal! But, ouch. It was. They pretty much don't bother me at all now, though I still haven't quite gotten the hang of chewing well yet. But my teeth are already moving and grooving... I will probably have them for over two years but it will be nice to have teeth that aren't all crazy looking and hard to chew with and clean.

Pearl turns two years old next week. I'm struggling with accepting that... accepting the fact that that much time has passed since she was just a wee tiny helpless thing fresh from my womb. She certainly acts like she's two, though. I don't know if I'd go so far as to say it's been "terrible" but it's been close! Just typical stuff I suppose, lots of defiance and fear and ignoring and refusing to nap and waking up at crazy hours in the morning... it all adds up and wears me down and I lose patience more than I'd like to and get grouchy with her or my husband and pretty much feel exhausted all the time. She is still of course quite often cute and funny and sweet, so there's that.

We're having a birthday party here for her and her same-aged cousin this weekend and I've been working on plans for that, trying to get the house into some semblance of neat and clean before it is swarmed by all sorts of family members and friends. I'm working on a birthday dress for Pearl with some lovely pink and blue fabrics that is being very contrary and eating up a lot of my time, but I enjoy having a project to work on, enjoy the whole process of finding fabric that inspires a design, working out the details and then the cutting out and putting together, then the copious amount of stitch-ripping and re-positioning... it's fun. Since my sewing machine got a permanent home in the spare room I've been a sewing fiend! I love it.

The baby monitor is telling me that nap time has come to an end so that's it for now!



Labels:

3 Comments:

Blogger sarah doow said...

Good luck with your braces. I had a second go with them when I was about your age (this makes me sound ancient, I'm only 25!). The mouth full of metal isn't much fun, but the end result is so worth it!

7:05 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Braces, ouch! That brings back a lot of memories (that I'd rather not remember, lol). Can't believe Pearl is gonna be two! Time flies ...

11:52 AM  
Blogger pretendingsanity said...

wow, the little two year old, time does fly.

I, too, find myself with lots to say and no time to say it. Sometimes life is a hard juggle.

My advice about braces, use your wax!

12:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home