Wednesday, April 05, 2006

The Hunt Begins... Again

We've started looking for a new place to live again. It feels like I just did this last month, and I would prefer to not start looking just yet as we still have 2 or so more months left on our lease, but my husband is insistent so I gave in and started combing through the paper again. I hate to do it now because I just know I'm going to find some place whose owner will not want to wait a few months and our landlord won't want to let us out of our lease early and our perfect home will be gone and I'll be upset. I invest too much in the whole process emotionally I guess. Get my hopes up when I find a place that actually meets all of our requirements, get let down when it's too expensive or in a yucky neighborhood or doesn't match the image of it I built up in my mind. At least our lease is open-ended after six months so we don't have the pressure of finding something new in a small window of time.

We went and looked at a house last night that was nice, but just beyond our price range. I wasn't terribly heartbroken as it wasn't perfect, but it was very cute so I was a little disappointed. Nothing major though. This afternoon we're going to look at another place, one that sounds like it could either be very cool or very not cool. It's the bottom half of a house owned by a couple who supposedly travel a lot and are only home for a week or two at a time before they take off again. They have two dogs though, which could or could not be problematic. It's on four acres out in the country, which sounds very pleasant. It has it's own entrances and a fireplace and garage place along with the important dishwasher and washer/dryer. So we'll see.

I kind of like moving because it's a new place, a new start. However I do not really like turning around and moving again in six months. Moving is expensive and a pain. I know I'm not likely to find something that really is 'perfect' because we're poor. If we had more money we could find a nicer place much more easily, but we don't! So we have to try and see the whole picture, have to weigh the things we love about a place against the things that aren't so great. The little half-house we're in now is nice but we knew it wasn't a long-term thing so while we accepted its shortcomings and while it has been pleasant I haven't really grown attached to it, and frankly, I really, really, really want a place with a washer and dryer. Doing laundry in a laundromat, on site or not, sucks and I'm tired of it.

Anyway, those are my somewhat jumbled thoughts on moving and the house/duplex/apartment-finding process.

Labels:

2 Comments:

Blogger Teri said...

I SO feel your pain. I HATE MOVING!! My husband and I have never come closer to divorce than when it's moving time. (And we've moved 3x together! Eek!) We are going to try to BUY a house this year! Double eeeek!

I wish you lots of luck! And yes, girl, make that washer/dryer a top priority!!

3:25 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yucky moving again! I love the idea of moving, hate the act. But I do love that new start feeling and moving out of state is the best. Good luck, hope you find what you are looking for, in 2 months ;)

4:52 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home