Monday, November 27, 2006

The Food of Love

For the past few months I have been getting new music from eMusic, a DRM-free mp3 downloading service. I pay ten bucks a month and get forty songs, which is about three albums and a pretty good deal. They've since switched things around, so sadly new users will not get such a good deal. However, they do offer a free trial. eMusic hasn't had every artist or album I've looked for, but they have a huge selection of indie/obscure music and I have has a wonderful time browsing through it and discovering new artists. Here are a few of my finds:

  • Elizabeth Mitchell - You Are My Little Bird : This is an album of folksy songs recorded for children. Elizabeth Mitchell's voice is very pretty and is accompanied by simple instrumentals and, on some tracks, her daughter and husbands' voices. The effect is charming and this gets listened to a lot in the Peach household.
  • Nina Nastasia - On Leaving : This is Nina Nastasia's latest offering. Very good.
  • Espers - Espers : Espers is a band that makes music in the genre of "freak-folk" which I do not know much about, but from listening to it and reading about it, it seems like it is music made by hippies who like to eat shrooms and go to Renaissance Faires, maybe or maybe not at the same time. I like this album a lot (infer from that what you will). It was a perfect soundtrack for the transition between autumn's bright days and darker, duller weather.
Following the above links will lead to more in-depth reviews as well as song samples. I would love to hear your music recommendations!

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I really like the Elizabeth Mitchell album, and even find myself listening to it in the car when no one else is around. Even though it's "children's" music, it's fantastic work.

5:21 AM  
Blogger merseydotes said...

If you like Elizabeth Mitchell, she did a book/CD with Lisa Loeb a few years ago that we have and like: Catch the Moon. The book isn't great, but we love the CD.

7:09 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home