Friday, December 15, 2006

There's a Fungus Among Us

Remember the rash I mentioned? Thrush. We have thrush. The tale-tell white patchy film has showed up on Pearl's tongue. Ick. No doubt it was fueled by her letting milk get all over the bed while she was sick and us wallowing in it all night whilst I was totally succumbing to a powerful sugar addiction. I don't even know what to do. I mean, I do, of course I've researched it and read about all the various treatments, but it just seems like it'll be too hard to deal with to even bother... she has her hands in the mouth all the time, she gropes the free nipple when she's nursing, she touches everything, she licks everything, in my mind's eye I can just see the stuff everywhere. The yeast infection is just topical on my breasts, and Pearl doesn't have the accompanying diaper rash, so as far as I know neither of us are really in any discomfort from it so at this point all I want to do is dose us up really well on probiotics, cut back on the sweets (omg, noooooo!!!), and hope it goes away... forget about gentian violet and topical creams and doctor's visits... but as I mentioned in the first link, she's been a very annoying little nursling and I'm wondering if discomfort from the thrush in her mouth might be contributing to that. Of course, she still isn't breathing well through her nose either, which I know is causing nursing problems. I don't know if it's a lingering reaction to her last cold, or the dairy I had at Thanksgiving, or some other, more mysterious problem that I'm unaware of.

I don't know, I'm just tired of it all, I wish we could just BE HEALTHY. I'm feeling very sulky about all this.

Labels: ,

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sorry to hear that... Hope you are able to get rid of the thrush soon! You're doing the right thing.

9:11 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh bummer! That was one thing we've never experienced, knock on wood, it doesn't sound fun. Mainly b/c your right, it sounds like such a pain in the arse to get rid of. I thought we had it once and was overwhelmed w/trying to figure out how to actually stick w/the things needed to get rid of it.

I send you all my anti-sugar will power, which is pretty much none. Good luck, I hope you guys get better STAT.

7:39 AM  
Blogger Elaine said...

Two kids in and we've yet to deal with it. It's my big fear and I had pretty much assumed we were past it, but then you all have to go and fall to the evil thrush? GAH! My confidence is shattered.

So sorry, hon. That just sounds overwhelming and frustrating and I so hope it resolves quickly for you.

8:07 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

oh, man... thrush sucks. it's SO persistent and hard to get rid of! best of luck!

6:13 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home