Thursday, December 07, 2006

Introducing Baby

So I have had the vague idea to get Pearl a doll sometime in the near future... then Mama C-ta talked about getting Cricket one for Christmas, and I kept coming across them in my holiday shopping. Then when my Uncle came down for Thanksgiving, his four-year-old daughter let Pearl hold her baby "for three minutes" and Pearl was in love, so I decided to go ahead and get her one for Christmas. So I shopped around and then decided I might as well make her one myself! It seemed like a project I could handle, fun to do, less expensive than having someone else make one, more personal than buying a mass produced one... so why not?

I went with the My Baby kit from Dancing Rain Dolls... I like supporting home based businesses over bigger companies when I can, and I'd heard good recommendations about Dancing Rain Dolls on a message board I frequent. I went ahead and got a pre-made head because that seemed like it would be the most time consuming, daunting part - though after my rough time getting the head attached to the body I am not so sure of that!

Amy, doll maker and proprietress of Dancing Rain Dolls, was very nice and helpful through the whole process, responding very promptly to my questions and checking in on me when she hadn't heard from me in a few days. The materials Amy provided to make the doll were just beautiful, really quality stuff. I know anyone who knits/crochets can appreciate this... like working with high-end yarns after using acrylics from Hobby Lobby. The materials all felt great when I was working with them and the doll feels lovely now that she's done.

She doesn't have a name yet... I don't really know whether to give her one or to wait until Pearl can name her herself, so in the meantime she is just baby. And here she is:

Waldorf Doll
I tried to give her wild hair like Pearl's!
Face
Sweet little face.
Belly Button!
Belly button! Still debating on whether or not to add nipples.


She's definitely unique... she's a little crookedy all over, and I'm pretty sure I didn't stuff her legs enough - hence the appearance of rolls! But I am very pleased with how she turned out and I had a wonderful time making her. Making a doll is neat... she sort of came to life as I worked. I know Pearl will like her, she's already run off with her a few times when I've been working on her, smoothing her hair and hugging her tightly when I ask for her back. I still need to make her some clothes, but other than that, this project is complete!






Labels: ,

7 Comments:

Blogger Allison said...

so so cute! i'm going to have to check this doll company out!

12:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh she is so cute! What a wonderful gift for Pearl.

3:26 PM  
Blogger Elaine said...

Awesome! Anya is (not surprisingly) totally into dolls as well.

3:48 PM  
Blogger Teri said...

so cute. she looks great! i cracked up over the nipple question. i say go for it.

4:14 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh wow she is so cute!

Congratulations!

Def cking out the doll co.

11:42 AM  
Blogger pretendingsanity said...

so cute!

8:18 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That is gorgeous ~ so much cuter than the one I made! I'm making another one for Charlotte for Christmas, so I'll keep my finger crossed that I do half as good a job as you did!

11:10 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home