Wednesday, April 26, 2006

Eleven Months Old

This has been an amazingly busy month for Pearl and her mama! She is getting big so fast and her mind is developing so quickly.

Taking things out of containers has long been a favorite activity. This month she has taken it to the next level and is putting things back where they go. She is restacking her happy stack, putting her books back in their basket, and she also likes to put random toys in any handy container and I enjoy seeing her collections:

Collection


Pearl attempts to put the pieces of her wooden puzzles back where they go, too. She got two of those this month and I was so impressed with how she grasped the concept right away. In fact Pearl amazes me all the time with how much she knows and how easily she learns - I taught her to snort like a little piggy just by doing it in front of her a few times, and she knows what lots of words mean and will point or look at Daddy, the kitties, the mirror when I say the words...

Puzzling


Pearl started 'toy surfing' this month - crawling along with one or both hands on a toy that she slides around. She is initiating play more and more - she will put her mouth on my belly in an imitation of the raspberries I blow on hers then pop back up, and do it again when I stop giggling. Any time she can she catches ahold of my hands, wanting me to walk her around the room. Walking down and back up the step between the living room and the dining room is something she has been doing over and over and she has gotten very good at it, which is good as I was somewhat worried of how she would handle the drop once she started toddling.



Along with "mama" she is saying "Hi!" and sometimes "hey". "Hi!" is often accompanied by waving and she usually will wave bye-bye to Daddy when he leaves for work in the morning, though sometimes she waits until he's actually gone and he misses it!

Daddy has become Pearl's jungle gym and she climbs all over him when he sits on the floor. He also reads her bedtime stories most nights and it is very sweet to see her relax with him as they read.

Bedtime Stories


She is letting go of the furniture and standing on her own all the time now, sometimes falling, sometimes taking a step or even two! Her record is three steps at this point. Pearl is also attempting to stand up without pulling up, getting one leg beneath her but not both of them yet.

Perhaps being on the brink of the bipedal phase of her life has her feeling scared and vulnerable, or perhaps it is just plain old seperation anxiety but lately Pearl will not let me get more than four feet away from her without some serious fussiness. Getting her to nurse in the mornings has also been very difficult for the past week or so, which leads to a pretty stressed mama. There was a day last week where she did not nurse from the time she woke up until after noon, when she was asleep, which was over six hours. I couldn't get her to eat or drink much else either and was worried that she was hungry, worried that she was dehydrating but also worried that this was a full-out nursing strike and that I might have nursed her for the last time and not even known it. That thought was enough to reduce me to tears and panic but thankfully she nursed fine the rest of the day. She had a bit of reflux then, along with the runny nose that won't go away, and was tired... the runny nose seems to be the key to our morning nursing difficulties. If she will just try to breathe through her nose she usually can, with snuffliness, but it's getting her to force air through her nose that is the problem. All that makes the nursing acrobatics she's been performing seem like not a problem at all!

Her fourth tooth, the front upper right, came in earlier this month and I think she's working on the next two teeth right now. She's chubbed back up again this month - she is still nursing a lot (other than the morning shenanigans) and is eating usually three times a day, though not much at a time. I can tell she is really wanting to eat for the sake of getting the food now, not just eating because I put it in front of her. She loves peaches and green beans and lentils! Her hair is getting long and curls a little at her neck though I am still not sure if she will have her Daddy's ringlets or not.

Easter Dress


She is my sweetie pie, my monkey bear, my wild and crazy baby. I am so glad she is my daughter!

Labels: , ,

5 Comments:

Blogger Lisa (the girls' moma) said...

I just found your blog and I am so excited! My younger daughter was born May 31, 2005--only one day younger than yours! So we too are coming up on 11 months and it is so great to read your summary of what little Pearl is doing. And your pictures are so beautiful!

I look forward to reading your blog regularly!

11:29 AM  
Blogger christina said...

Oh that last picture kinda took my breath away with cuteness. She seriously is one of the most beautiful babies ever! I also think its adorable that your whole family is wearing tie-dye. She's lucky to have YOU as her mama--you are so observant and attentive and fun--these things are always evident in your writing!

5:29 PM  
Blogger Susan D. said...

She's such a cutie pie! You say she's started giving you raspberries - wait til she discovers she can do them on your breast while she's nursing. My lil girl went thru a stage where she always gave me "boobieberries" and it was cute but also kinda weird... The piggy-snort thing is also great... Reading your blog makes me feel so nostalgic for all the stages my own lil girl passed through all those months ago! Hope the not nursing in the morning thing passes quickly too. BTW, I have to say you really take lovely pictures of Pearl! She's clearly not camera shy, huh?

1:26 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

11 months? You mean only one more month to go before she's, gulp, 1?? Sniff, sniff. She's been amazing to watch grow and she always was such a smart cookie!

Cricket does the toy surfing, I love it. And he'll put one in his mouth with one in each hand too. We weren't sure if he picked this up from the dogs or is normal ;)

10:46 AM  
Blogger Mrs. Flinger said...

How wonderfully written!! She's seriously just a doll. I love love LOVE those last series of pictures (in the dress outside). That could be professional. Amazing.

Happy Eleven Months! And here comes walking. Wheee!

9:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home