Sunday, May 21, 2006

Scenes from a Hike that Wasn't Much of One

We went out to go hiking yesterday, but we discovered when we got there that the trail was quite overgrown... overgrown enough to make me whimper about ticks and chiggers and poison ivy. So we just picnicked, walked the short trail along the top of the mountain, and enjoyed the scenery for a while.



View from White Rock Mountain

Phlox


We took a back road part of the way home (winding dirt road, no other traffic, very bumpy... and the air smelled so good) and stopped to check out a creek. We saw butterflies and fish but by that point the big camera was out of batteries and the little camera was out of memory... then I saw this big snapping turtle, so I deleted some pictures really fast and waited for him to come up for air, but he didn't so I only got this underwater shot of him.

Snapping Turtle

Floating Feather

Labels: ,

6 Comments:

Blogger sarahgrace said...

That is a really cool shot of the turtle even so!

Beautiful country you live in...

9:50 AM  
Blogger Charles Riedmueller said...

Hey! White Rock! One of my favorite places in the world, and the final resting place for the ashes of a buddy who also loved it.

My dad and I have a cabin near there off of Hwy 215.

9:53 AM  
Blogger fuzzypeach said...

It really is a beautiful area, Sarahgrace!

PW, cool about the cabin:) White Rock is one of my fave spots too. I grew up very near there. It's falling into disrepair though. They replaced the stone steps to the overlook with a yuckt gravel path - easier to walk on but ugggggly.

10:22 AM  
Blogger Charles Riedmueller said...

Ugly, yes. Have you ever stayed at one of the little cabins? Tres cool, but they book up really fast.

5:42 PM  
Blogger fuzzypeach said...

I've always wanted to but never have!

5:44 PM  
Blogger Daph said...

Such beautiful photos! I love the picture of Pearl, she looks so happy and enthusiastic! :)

10:31 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home