Thursday, June 22, 2006

Hooray for Being Social!

Yesterday I went to my first La Leche League meeting. It was the first time since we moved back to town that it didn't interfere with Pearl's naptime so we went. I almost didn't go, but I'm glad I did because it was so nice to talk with likeminded mamas about breastfeeding and mothering in general. Pearl had fun too, playing with the toys there and the other babies. She even nursed a little, which she will rarely do in public.

And I got invited to an AP playgroup at our favorite park! So we went there this morning. Again, I almost talked myself out of it, even drove through the park and almost left before making myself go back. One of the moms from the LLL meeting was there and she introduced me to the other mom and stay-at-home-dad who were there with their kids. I had a good time chatting with them and Pearl had fun clambering all over the playground and toddling after the older boys.

I always talk myself out of doing social things... and on the occasions when I make myself do it, I always enjoy myself. I am just so introverted and anxious, but it's never as awkward as I imagine...

Anyway, I've been working on Pearl's baby book. I never did find one I was completely satisfied with so I'm creating one using Adobe InDesign and will have it printed and bound. I've got lots of photographs and lots of materials from this blog to include, so I'm making outlines, sorting through things, learning how to use a new program and trying to remember what I learned about page layout from my time on the yearbook staff during high school. It's been keeping me busy and it feels good to have a project to work on.

Labels:

3 Comments:

Blogger sarahgrace said...

Ooh. The custom baby book sounds really cool. I never found one I liked for my second, and so here I am over a year later without one, and feeling guilty. Cool idea!

12:26 PM  
Blogger Elaine said...

I totally got anti-social after Lily was born. Now my playgroup moms are some of my best friends. It's so nice to have likeminded folk to spend time with!

And the book does sound awesome! I hope we get a peak at it when it's done.

4:40 PM  
Blogger Teri said...

I'm the same way about being social with people I don't know. Good for you for just doing it!

I'm also working on a baby book of sorts - my writing about Tessa's first year. I notice I am kind of mourning the loss of her infancy...but as you know, there's much to look forward to.
xo

11:07 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home