Sunday, June 18, 2006

How Sweet It Is!

cosleeping mosaic


I want to note how much I enjoy cosleeping with Pearl. We didn't plan on fully cosleeping with her; we'd bought an Arm's Reach Mini Cosleeper for her but once she'd arrived it just did not seem right to sleep with her even that far away. I have never felt so discordant, my nerves jangled and I couldn't relax. Sleeping with her next to me felt and still feels like the most natural thing in the world.

It is so wonderful to curl around her, to fall asleep with one of my hands in hers and the other against my husband's hair, blowing kisses back and forth with him over her as she dreams. I love knowing she is safe, love being able to comfort her instantly when she wakes and feed her when she hungers.

Someday, in the not-terribly-distant future, we'll begin transitioning her to her own bed and room. But for now I am enjoying having my whole little family beside me at night, breathing and dreaming together. It is one aspect of parenting I didn't know I would love so much.

Labels: , ,

5 Comments:

Blogger christina said...

Girl, I so hear you. I love cosleeping with Bean too...but we are also just getting to the point where we're starting to think about that transition and it makes all my nerves jangle a bit... Now I finally get those moms who moan, "oh wouldn't you just love if they stayed small forever!" But I love watching him grow up too, don't you?

9:01 AM  
Blogger Teri said...

Yes, I hear you too. I put Tessa to bed in her crib but hours later she wakes up and I bring her into bed. She's very active, so co-sleeping is not as easy (or restful!) as it used to be! I miss those days!

1:41 PM  
Blogger sarahgrace said...

Ah yes, I loved co-sleeping with my babiies too. It was kind of funny at first my hubby didn't really want Drew in the bed with us, and after a short while he couldn't stand for him not to be in bed with us...
I didn't feel comfortable any other way either.

9:49 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes it's one of my favorite things in the whole world, that is when he's actually sleeping. I could do without the night wakings but when he's sleeping it's the best feeling in the world.

4:20 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

there are many advantages of bedsharing including increased breastfeeding rates. But i think the disadvantages outweigh anything else. You have the ability to provide your child with a safe environment where nobody will roll over her, push her or put blankets / pillows over her face. I think its negligent that parents decide to bedshare even though they have other means such as co-sleepers (or cribs right beside the bed). Asphyxiation is a huge reason for infant death. To bedshare just for the reason that it seems “natural” or comforting for YOU is selfishness. On top of this, during your sleep you are at a much high alertness / awareness because of having your baby beside you, that can prevent transitioning into restorative/deep sleep. therefore you are more tired and more likely to roll over your baby unintentionally. Provide your baby with a safe place in her own co-sleeper.

1:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home