Friday, July 13, 2007

Cottage Roses Twirly Patchwork Dress

I completed a project this week - a dress for Pearl (because I really just haven't sewn her enough dresses for her this Spring & Summer... I can't help myself, I enjoy it so much!) inspired by and made using this tutorial.

Twirly Patchwork Dress






I fell in love with a line of fabric Hancock Fabrics carried over the summer called "Cottage Roses", assorted florals and coordinating material in cream and pink and blue and green. I bought some of the pink and blue to make Pearl a birthday dress with because she has always been a rosy little thing who looks good in those colors. I picked up some more pinks and greens to make her this patchwork dress and added in what was left of the birthday dress prints.

I managed to sew this dress without having to rip endless seams and make tons of revisions like I did the birthday dress. It was the first dress I attempted to make up without a pattern or tutorial, just drawing from my limited experience and patterns I already had I made a lot of mistakes along the way - it took me four tries to work out a bodice that fit - and the end product, while pretty, doesn't hang very well. The bodice actually does. It's the skirt I take issue with.

Anyway, I got the bodice on the patchwork skirt right the first time with no problems and only had to go back and redo one thing - I originally had a shorter row of patchwork right beneath the bodice but it wasn't gathered and the rest of the tiers are and it really bothered me so I took it out. Also, it is really hard to tie knots on the the shoulders of a two-year-old, but it won't come off or go on while tied!

Labels: , , ,

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Had to come find out more about the dress - you did make it! It's beautiful. I bought a toddler dress pattern from Walmart, but haven't even opened it. My Mum will be staying next month and I'll see if she'll help me. I'm much better sewing toys on the machine - clothing scares me.

11:47 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Adorable!

1:10 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Gorgeous! I might be inspired to shake off my sewing funk and copy you. And her crocs are way cute -- I really want some for Phoebe.

4:25 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think it looks fantastic! Great job, I'm very impressed!

10:30 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hi there, i go through your blog for the beautiful pictures you put up. I just wanted to know which camera you use and your settings. I have an 18 month old daughter and would love to take some good pics of her. I live in India. Please do reply..Btw..I also kinda copied your patchwork dress as we don't get too much of that here..I think you are a very talented mother.

6:49 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

you can write me at kanchanchar@gmail.com

6:50 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home