Saturday, September 08, 2007

First Night Apart: A Success.

Pearl's first night away from me went well! She didn't go to bed until midnight (the same time Mr. Peach and I hit the sack in a bed and breakfast a few miles up the road) and my mom had to put on a 5am showing of My Neighbor Totoro to keep her happy and get her back to sleep, and when she woke again at 8:30 she called out for me but then started reading books and was fine.

We stayed at a cabin rather than going back home after dropping her off last night so that we would be closer to my parents' house if she wasn't handling it well and needed us, and so that was a nice little change for us. It was strange (but good) to not have to keep eyes and ears attuned to a toddler or the baby monitor, and boy was it nice not having to go through the bedtime/sleep shenanigans.

And though I cried a little when I packed her bag and I thought my heart would break when we left her playing happily with my mom, I did okay as long as I was occupied... though I must admit I got tearful sitting out on the back porch swing alone while Mr. Peach showered and I realized I was rocking out there by myself when usually at that time of night, I would be rocking Pearl to sleep...

And goodness, were my breasts overly full of milk in the morning! Ouch. I nursed her as soon as we were reunited after being served a nice breakfast.

Now, she is taking a good nap recovering from her rather sleepless but thankfully not traumatic night, and I am relieved that it went well and extremely happy and excited to be finalizing the plans for our concert trip.


Labels: ,

4 Comments:

Blogger merseydotes said...

The first night away is so bittersweet. We were so proud of Petunia for handling it with aplomb, but we were sort of heartbroken at being so replaceable!

Glad it went well for Pearl.

2:59 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yay!

5:50 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good for you..!!

5:21 AM  
Blogger pretendingsanity said...

Exciting step for all of you! I'm glad it went well. Now I long for the infrequent times we get a night to ourselves. But I agree, the house seems so empty.

7:51 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home