Saturday, November 17, 2007

Stomach Bug

Yesterday I thought Pearl seemed a little off throughout the day and wondered if she might be getting sick. In the late afternoon after a little coughing and gagging, and a concerned question from me, she ran and hugged my legs and as I leaned down to return this toddler hug she started puking all over the both of us. I put my hand out to catch it -she was already throwing up, so I found this a strange instinctive movement to make- and was met with a warm cascade of apple chunks, black bean soup, and chickpeas.

(I think motherhood has warped my senses a wee bit, as I found myself noticing how tiny and cute her little bites of apple were.)

So, we had a Friday evening filled with trying to get the poor girl to puke somewhere that wasn't carpeted or upholstered, a location that involved my person five out of six times. A three shower day. A labyrinth of dirty clothes, clean clothes, washrags, and the laundry room. A midnight change of bedding.

She's sleeping again now, which is good. She doesn't seem to be throwing up as frequently if she's sleeping, so maybe that means she's able to digest some breastmilk then. So far she hasn't been able the keep anything she's eaten since noon yesterday down.

***

She hasn't thrown up in about six hours, so I'm hoping she's through the worst of it now!


Labels: ,

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, poor little. I do hope she's feeling better!

8:07 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Aw, poor thing. M went through this well before she turned two, and I felt so bad for her because she was so confused by what was happening.

I hope Pearl is better soon.

8:01 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My mantra, since having children: "I'm a mom, I do gross things."

I hope she is all better now. I think the stomach bug is sweeping the nation, we had it over here too this week.

Happy moving, and Happy Thanksgiving!

9:34 AM  
Blogger sarah doow said...

Poor kiddly, I hope she's soon back on top form!

11:15 AM  
Blogger Kirsten said...

My heart goes out to the poor kiddo! Toddler hugs make the world go round in my opinion. I hope that she is on the mend.

9:44 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home